Author Topic: Setupx dll  (Read 6794 times)

Den

Setupx dll
« on: December 22, 2003, 06:15:53 PM »
Last week, upon startup, Avast detected a "virus" (don't remember name) and because it couldn't be repaired, we simply deleted it. I don't know if this is related but now I can no longer access  WINDOWS SETUP. The message says;
"rundll32 has caused an error in setupx dll"
I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge base for a fix but to no avail. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and if so, how to repair.
Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Setupx dll
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 06:51:22 PM »
I guess you can extract the setupx.dll file from the installation CD of the operating system and copy it to the system directory.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:09:23 PM »
Den,

A search on Google for the two file names, brings up quiet a few references.  ;)

Depending on what action you are doing (and OS) it seems as though it could also be related to a damaged .inf file  ???

Try 'google'ing' then weed out your specific problem .

W.

Den

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 09:24:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Igor.
I had to replace my hard drive a couple of months ago and  I reinstalled everything back on via a Recovery disk, thus I'm not sure how to extract a file . I guess, I can try with whatever disks I have . However I would have thought that the file should be repaired or deleted before extracting ???
And thank you too Walker. That's the first thing I did but there was nothing there that was exactly like my error. The closest, was one relating adding new hardware for Win 95. My problem is primarily related to getting access to Windows Setup in Win Me.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 09:50:14 PM »
Well, you didn't specify what OS do you have.
I meant something like browsing the installation CD with Total Commander and subsequent extracting the file from the CAB (for Win9x), or using the extract tool (or what's the exact name?) for WinNT platform.

Walker

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 10:43:14 PM »
And thank you too Walker. That's the first thing I did but there was nothing there that was exactly like my error. The closest, was one relating adding new hardware for Win 95. My problem is primarily related to getting access to Windows Setup in Win Me.

Den, your welcome.

I am surprised that you can't find a google reference. I found the following all with reference to different problems/resolutions/OS's

"Searched the web for rundll32 setupx dll.   Results 1 - 10 of about 642. "

If you get stuck and want any files off of my setup CD 95,98,ME, XP-he,XP-P I'll try to hook em of and e-mail to you if you wish. However, from my reading, I'm still not sure if you could have a damaged .inf or other file somewhere. But you will know best. :)

Walker

Den

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 04:22:07 AM »
Thanks again fellas