Author Topic: Suggestions to AVAST for Improvements in Outlook  (Read 1087 times)

REDACTED

Suggestions to AVAST for Improvements in Outlook
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
There are 4 buttons in the Outlook add in. I have found that when I identify emails as SPAM that does not necessarily prevent them from continuing sending it. I need to place on blacklist. However, by default the entire email address is added (2222@russian.ru).  I then have to manually edit the blacklist.

I suggest that another button or option be added to allow me to identify that the entire domain should be blacklisted.

How about an option to identify as spam (so you can update your records and heuristics) and also add to blacklist so that sender never gets through again?

How about another button that launches the Avast SPAM settings dialog to make it easier to configure on the fly?

Thanks,

Chris Wilson

Offline brendan.taylor

Re: Suggestions to AVAST for Improvements in Outlook
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:18:32 AM »
One idea I had was to check the authenticity of domains in emails.  For example I recently received an email that was supposedly from Xero Accounting (Online Accounting System).  Very popular here in Australia.  This email was not recognised as spam by avast and looked reasonably convincing, except for a few giveaways in relation to the hyperlinks being for obscure domain names and the fact that I am not a Xero customer. The sender email was xeronet.org.  I did a whois search on this domain and it does not exist.  As a starting point, if the domain for the email sender does not exist this could be considered as spam or at least becomes part of the consideration.  Another idea would be, if avast is unsure of whether an email is spam,put a weighting on it, eg out of 5 or 10 to allow the recipient to have some apprehension about the authenticity of emails.  Display the weighting for the email somewhere.  Perhaps even indicate aspects of the email that raise concerns for Avast.  Hope the suggestions are of some use.