Author Topic: installing language pack on offline PC  (Read 14173 times)

John-

installing language pack on offline PC
« on: December 20, 2003, 11:53:08 AM »
hello,

I have installed the home edition on my dad's PC, but this PC is not connected to the Internet. He usually scans floppy discs he receives from his work at the office. (yes, floppy's are still used).

Now is my question: is it possible to download the dutch-language pack so i can set it up on his offline pc? Or is this not possible?

greetz

John-

Pavel Baudis

Re:installing language pack on offline PC
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 07:24:04 PM »
Now is my question: is it possible to download the dutch-language pack so i can set it up on his offline pc? Or is this not possible?
Look at the avast! Home Download page  ;D

Pavel

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 08:54:26 PM »
This will not work unless you remove the English pack, though (because the Dutch installer does not contain English).

Discussed in a different thread here (yesterday)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

John-

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 11:54:47 PM »
oh,...i see now,... i had checked the download page 2 days ago, and then it was not available yet,....  ;) thx

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 05:54:50 PM »
oh,...i see now,... i had checked the download page 2 days ago, and then it was not available yet,....  ;) thx

John, first you have to desinstall English files...
Then install the Dutch ones from the downloaded setup.
After you succeed on installing avast in Dutch, you can copy the folder of this language to the other computer (if I remember correctly it is from your sister). You must add a line into the avast4.ini file with the code of the Dutch language. See the section [Language] at the ini file.  ;)

Maybe you have to boot before in order to activate the new language and then, after, to load avast in Dutch.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 02:49:48 PM »
Generally, this is not a good method to install language packs. You have to keep in mind that simple copying the necessary files won't make the setup aware that the language pack is installed. So, they may get deleted (or not updated) during the next update (if some if performed on the target machine).
So, you may have to do this again every time an update is performed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 06:19:20 PM »
Generally, this is not a good method to install language packs. You have to keep in mind that simple copying the necessary files won't make the setup aware that the language pack is installed. So, they may get deleted (or not updated) during the next update (if some if performed on the target machine).
So, you may have to do this again every time an update is performed.

Ok, so I think you must correct a bug (or whatever it is called) into the full setup with all languages (17Mb) because it is imposible to update my system with it. I receive 2 messages of previous av installation and it says 'the setup does not have all needed components'...  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 02:22:06 AM »
This is more than a desire, or a wish...  :'(
I just want to tell that if avast! could let the user to use two languages by default, I mean, every setup.exe file could have the English file and the user can choose the other language...

Please, I beg you this...
We, the not native English spokers, need this version to know what is being talked (comands, windows, etc.) in the forum and want to have the own native language available for avast.

Please, if the user does not want the English, he/she could take it away at the installation proccess, but do not force the user to download a 17Mb with all languages...  :'( Please, I just want two, English and another language, that could be installed both through Internet and off-line.

Is it a crazy thing?  :-\