Author Topic: can't view settings  (Read 3931 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
can't view settings
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:55:22 AM »
First, I don't kmow how long or when this happened, as I haven't had a need to view the settings for some time. I tried last night, just to see what they were before I upgraded.(still on version in signature)

When I right click on the "A" ball, choose program setting, all I get is a box on the task bar titled "avast! settings", but no corresponding window. Clicking on it does nothing except change the color from gray to white.

Opening the main program, right click the "A", start avast! antivirus. Once the program has started I can do a scan, view previous sessions, etc. Everthing except settings. Clicking on settings freezes the entire page. Nothing is active. ie can't view anything.

Task manager dooesn't say the program isn't responding, but thats the only way that I can close it.

I haven't tied anything yet, as I'm not sure of where to begin.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: can't view settings
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 03:15:25 AM »
When I right click on the "A" ball, choose program setting, all I get is a box on the task bar titled "avast! settings", but no corresponding window. Clicking on it does nothing except change the color from gray to white.
Which corresponding window are you expecting?
The one you get with a 'left' click on the 'a' ball?

Opening the main program, right click the "A", start avast! antivirus. Once the program has started I can do a scan, view previous sessions, etc. Everthing except settings.
Which settings do you want?

Clicking on settings freezes the entire page. Nothing is active. ie can't view anything.
Task manager dooesn't say the program isn't responding, but thats the only way that I can close it.
Well, do you have any other antivirus in this computer?
Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:21:40 AM »
Which corresponding window are you expecting?
The one you get with a 'left' click on the 'a' ball?

No, the one that has the settings

Opening the main program, right click the "A", start avast! antivirus. Once the program has started I can do a scan, view previous sessions, etc. Everthing except settings.
Which settings do you want?

Program settings, the one with the check boxes for updates etc

Clicking on settings freezes the entire page. Nothing is active. ie can't view anything.
Well, do you have any other antivirus in this computer?
Which firewall do you use?

none and none

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:50:32 AM »
Just to correct my original post.

The program does not "feeze" when trying to access the settings page. With volume turned up,(which I rarely do)I can hear a "ding". This, I guess is a windows warning sound.

To recap, when trying to go to the settings screen, clicking settings does not bring up the settings screen. Clicking anything after that just gets a "ding". This happens no matter where I try from, be it the main program or log viewer. in order to close the program, I have to use task manager.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 01:24:26 AM »
An update to 47817 didn't resolve the problem, nor did a repair.

Uninstalled 4.6xxx and installed 47817 everthing seems okay now. Don't know what happened.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »
An update to 47817 didn't resolve the problem, nor did a repair.

Uninstalled 4.6xxx and installed 47817 everthing seems okay now. Don't know what happened.
Glad you win after all... maybe something could not be updated correctly.
Did you pass through the beta test or not? I mean, just update from 4.6 to stable 4.7 or through the beta?
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 05:07:18 AM »
Tech

I updated after 4.7 was released(manual update) But when I reinstallled avast!, I downloaded the complete 4.7 and installed.

Thanks for your interest.