Author Topic: Hotconference video/chat  (Read 3473 times)

furryferret

Hotconference video/chat
« on: April 23, 2006, 10:04:59 PM »
Ok I am a newbie here-- but I have a question.  I have downloaded a program from my site to handle a guest speaker chat.  Most of the site members are able to use this sofware as long as they have the minimum requirements.  I have the recommended requirements, and can not get sound to work.  <--- I get a loud static sound like a TV station goiing off the air. 
The sofware is called hotconference

While trying to troubleshoot the problem I have done the following:

Updated my drivers for audio/sound
updated active X
I took my wireless network down and plugged the cable right into my PC
After bringing the network back up I disabled the firewall on the router
I opened up the required ports using my Linksys network settings
I turned off my zonealarm
I have installed /uninstalled the software numerous times
I have scoured the internet for solutions
I have done many other things as well <-- but cant remember all of them--LOL

Could it be my Avast Software ?? Is there a setting I should change to allow a video/chat software to run  <-- this software is kinda VOIP technology.  The program runs fine EXCEPT I can not get any clear sound which it critical to have with the guest speakers.

Anybody got any ideas??  I am hitting a wall here!
thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Hotconference video/chat
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »
I don't think avast! can be the cause here. But of course, you can try to disable the avast! resident protection temporarily to see if it helps anyhow.

neal62

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:25:04 AM »
You didn't say you had tried to troubleshoot your problem with the Hotconference folks. You might go HERE and contact their tech support. They say they "Hotconference.com provides internationally renowned, top-notch customer support ". Just a thought. They do have basically a V.O.I.P. type of program. Sometimes a firewall security level setting will prevent V.O.I.P. from working. I know because I use VOIP and one of my VOIP programs would not work until I lowered the "Security Level" setting of the particular firewall I was using. Then, everything worked just fine. I know you said you turned off Zone Alarm. This was the same firewall that was causing my VOIP program to not work several years ago. Other than this I would check with the Hotconference folks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 01:31:24 AM by neal63 »

furryferret

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »
Thanks for both of the  replies above.  I was desperate so I posted my question here.  Hotconference's support so far is not very good.  They have hours Mon thru Fri and not much on the weekends.  I will go and seek knowledge on their support site during their posted hours.  <---- The funny thing is that  I will have to use the hotconference software for any support sessions on their site--  with no SOUND!!  LOL

Thanks again!! ;D