Author Topic: Standard Shield resident advanced v4.7  (Read 3070 times)

greenhatch

Standard Shield resident advanced v4.7
« on: April 24, 2006, 03:42:52 PM »
Okay, I updated to version 4.7. However I noticed in the Standard Shield resident task advanced section, many of the previous 'will not be scanned' locations no longer appear. There are just four now (?:\pagefile.sys; *.txt; *.log; *ini), I can't recall the missing ones but I'd guess six. Is this correct?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard Shield resident advanced v4.7
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:33:04 PM »
There used to be more, however, removing those effectively more files are scanned so less risk, etc.   They would only be removed for a purpose, especially if it meant more files would be scanned as this may have a performance hit, something I would have thought avast wouldn't take lightly as much of what has been done in 4.7 seems to be related to improving performance.

You never know it may be catered for in a way that we can't see or adjust .
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

greenhatch

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »
Thanks David...are those missing locations missing in your update too then? My point is that if those extra locations are intentionally removed as part of the new version, then fine. But otherwise I will want to re-add them, if Vlk or Igor will kindly comment (listing the missing files if needs be)?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 04:58:17 PM by greenhatch »

emy80

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:42 PM »
Hello! I have the same question. I got other exclusions in my setting. And I haven't add or removed anything
I got:
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.TMP
*\_AVAST4_\UNP*.TMP
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.MANIFEST
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.CAT
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.POLICY
*\EDB.CHK
I would like to know if it's safe to remove at least the TEMP folder from this list.
Is it normal that I got so many of them?
Just this morning I did an on-line scan with Kaspersky antivirus and my pc was clean.
Thanks

greenhatch

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:43:29 PM »
Emy's list  would appear to represent my missing locations. This issue needs addressing please, Mr Avast rep :)

Hello! I have the same question. I got other exclusions in my setting. And I haven't add or removed anything
I got:
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.TMP
*\_AVAST4_\UNP*.TMP
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.MANIFEST
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.CAT
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.POLICY
*\EDB.CHK
I would like to know if it's safe to remove at least the TEMP folder from this list.
Is it normal that I got so many of them?
Just this morning I did an on-line scan with Kaspersky antivirus and my pc was clean.
Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:51:34 AM »
Some of the settings are used internally so you won't see them in the list, unless you have customized the list in the past...

That is, there's really nothing to worry about, there's no need for you to fine-tune the built-in exclusions.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.