Author Topic: How to set up Avast Passwords, replacing an antiquated password system  (Read 2869 times)

REDACTED

I have read and bookmarked the page on "How to set up Avast Passwords" (or words to that effect) but want more specific advice if that's possible.  The following parameters apply:
1. I have a current Avast Premier subscription on two computers (one desktop, one laptop) and one Android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S5).
2. I do online banking and have all sorts of other password-requiring accounts, from scientific journals to PayPal and accounts with various vendors etc. - I am a water district manager in drought-ridden California, a sometime software developer, semi-pro photographer, geneticist, oceanography professor, consultant in diving medicine, etc. Too damn many hats.
3. I have been disgracefully slow to get on board with modern security measures (I advise others on security, but have not been very good at taking my own advice) so have a relatively small "stable" of half a dozen passwords used for multiple sites - in other words, the same password for several sites, although I know well that is poor practice.
4. Both computers are running Windows 10, version 1703, 64 bit.  I use Chrome as my primary browser, occasionally also MS Edge, at present no others.  I use MS Office 365.

So OK, now I want to fix all that.  At least, to set up a password safe, store all my passwords therein, and in the process systematically eliminate the many duplicate passwords, replacing them with pseudo-random or otherwise more secure passwords.

And it would be nice to be able to do that without creating too much chaos along the way.

So I am asking how to migrate my present insufficiently secure, too repetitive password system into Avast Passwords, and how to get rid of the duplications in the process, in the least painful and least time-consuming way.

Thanks for enlightenment

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:20:30 AM by saluqi »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to set up Avast Passwords, replacing an antiquated password system
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:10:58 AM »
Install avast passwords and choose to import the passwords from your browser.

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB254

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:48:12 AM »
Thanks!  AVKB254 is the article to which my original post referred.  I have studied that article, but cannot claim to have grasped everything just yet.

I'm not sure how many passwords are saved in my browser (I use Google Chrome almost but not quite exclusively) and how many are saved only by the site to which they give access.  That latter would be the case for all banking and most bill payment passwords.  As noted, there is a lot of duplication there, with the same password used for more than one site.  That duplication is what I want to get rid of.  I am 85 years old and for more than 60 of those years I have been, quite literally, an absent-minded professor.  That is, some kinds of things I can remember with razor accuracy - and some kinds I cannot.  Passwords fall, unfortunately, into the latter category.  Also, when the browser asks me if I want it to save the password, I usually decline.  The result is that for sites I do not visit often, I may have to go through the "forgot password?" routine, which is a PITA.

I am wondering whether I have understood parts of the above mentioned article correctly:

If a password has not been saved in my browser (that will be most of them), how do I import it into Passwords?  by logging into the site?

If after setting up Avast Passwords and getting all current passwords into it, I change the password on one of those accounts, does Passwords then automatically record that change?

In such a case (I want to change an existing pw, perhaps because already used for another site or account) can Passwords generate a strong password, as if I were setting up a new account?

Does Passwords automatically notice if a password duplicates another, and offer to change it?

No doubt I will think of further questions as I go along.

Thanks,

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:08:05 AM »
I am wondering whether I have understood parts of the above mentioned article correctly:

If a password has not been saved in my browser (that will be most of them), how do I import it into Passwords?  by logging into the site?

If after setting up Avast Passwords and getting all current passwords into it, I change the password on one of those accounts, does Passwords then automatically record that change?

In such a case (I want to change an existing pw, perhaps because already used for another site or account) can Passwords generate a strong password, as if I were setting up a new account?

Does Passwords automatically notice if a password duplicates another, and offer to change it?
Answers in same sequence as questions are:
Yes - on almost 97% websites we are able capture passwords, for those 3% we can't - in most cases due to privacy protection of the site - you can manually enter password into manager - part of avast UI on windows or standalone application on android/iOS/Mac. I case of manual entry for the first time I recommend capture some password in the browser first so you have example of filled in password form in UI so you know what to fill in for manual entered password

Yes and No - in some cases we can detect password change in some cases we can't. If you change password on the website and we don't prompt you with update dialog then we have not detected that you updated password for the service and you should update the password manually in UI or you will accept that next time you visit the page we autofill incorrect data and we prompt you so save update when you put correct one

Yes - our browser extension does have password generator in extension dropdown shown once you click on extension icon in browser toolbar. We also offer password generator in recognized registration forms on the websites

Not fully - we have analysis button in UI which will perform analysis over your passwords but at the moment we don't offer assisted password change