Author Topic: Can't Connect to Update Server  (Read 2712 times)

Offline kbdavis

Can't Connect to Update Server
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
I am having some issues connecting to Avast update servers.

I first noticed the problem approx. 8 hours ago. I received a notification that a program update was available, so I went to the update screen and attempted to update. It failed. It states:
Last encountered error: Unknown Error
I thought it was strange, but nevertheless I proceeded to uninstall Avast. I went to Avast's site to redownload the program and the online download failed as well. So I located the offline installer, and installed Avast successfully at this point - well almost. Now I can't register my license with Avast that is valid for another year. I can't even "Log In" to Avast with Facebook.

So basically what I have so far is that it must be Avast's update server that is down. I found it odd that I was able to navigate to Avast.com, download the installer, but nothing else works.

So as a final test, I proceeded to my other PC (both are on Windows 10) to attempt to update Avast, and I am receiving the same "Unknown Error" when attempting to update. Now at this point I am mostly confident it's Avast's server - but not completely because I do not see any complaints on this forum regarding server issues at all.

I am not going to reinstall Avast Pro on my second PC because I am afraid I will have an issue registering the license there as well.

Am I the only one having difficulties updating Avast right now? I just find it bizarre that both PCs refuse to update and no threads about server/update issues.

It's stuck on
Downloading file: servers.def.vpx
(see attachment)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Can't Connect to Update Server
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
What is the error in the log file ?

Offline kbdavis

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
What's the name of the log file? I see 10 files located in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log that have been modified in the last half hour.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »
та же проблема,  не обновляется ни базы ни сама прога

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
rosiadzin this is a ENGLISH forum.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0