Author Topic: AVAST Wants Me to Turn Off Needed Services to "Improve" Performance"  (Read 5783 times)

Offline starvinmarvin

Avast says I should turn off the following services to improve performance of my PC:
iphlpsvc
Trk Wks
wcncsvc

These services are necessary for sharing files & folders on our home network. Turning them off would definitely be bad for our home networking. So, why is Avast suggesting these should be turned off? I believe it is irresponsible for Avast to make such suggestions. A user who implements the suggestion might well find they are cut off from sharing files and from "discovering" other computers on their home network.

Avast also says I should do this System Tweak:
Allow Multiple T S Sessions

This so-called system tweak actually violates the Windows 10 Home end user license agreement if I'm not mistaken. Also, since our networking works fine as it is, with good file transfer speeds, it seems a pointless suggestion.

AVAST does not explain how any of the above suggestions actually benefits the user. Their failure to describe the benefits and/or possible drawbacks is negligent to the point of fomenting distrust among careful users.

Can anyone here explain the specific benefits of implementing the Avast suggestions listed above, please?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AVAST Wants Me to Turn Off Needed Services to "Improve" Performance"
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:27:30 AM »
So, why is Avast suggesting these should be turned off?
You already answered that in the topic.
AVAST does not explain how any of the above suggestions actually benefits the user.
You already answered that in the topic.
This so-called system tweak actually violates the Windows 10 Home end user license agreement if I'm not mistaken
Did you really read the hundreds of pages ?

Offline starvinmarvin

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
Actually, I didn't answer anything in my post. I merely quoted Avast's vague claim of improved performance which lacks any specifics. Your reply is similarly helpful.

As for the end user agreement, a Microsoft Technet moderator directed me to the relevant passages in their labyrinthine document.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:28:04 PM by starvinmarvin »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
Yes you did answered those questions in your topic.
to "Improve" Performance"

Offline starvinmarvin

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
Golly, what fun - a playground style argument: yes you did, no i didn't ....

Please note the question in my original post: "Can anyone here explain the specific benefits of implementing the Avast suggestions listed above, please?"

Insisting that i answered my own question by quoting " to improve performance " is not helpful. That is not a specific benefit, it is a generalization which is similar to "eat an apple because it's good for you". I want to know specifically why it's good. If you can provide that information it would be helpful; otherwise, not.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Well in a way you did answer one of your questions.

Quote from: starvinmarvin
Avast says I should turn off the following services to improve performance of my PC:
iphlpsvc
Trk Wks
wcncsvc

These services are necessary for sharing files & folders on our home network. Turning them off would definitely be bad for our home networking.

So I personally wouldn't turn them off if I had a home network, I guess you aren't going to stop them either.

I would have thought that avast should have detected your use of a home network and not suggested these changes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:28:52 AM »
It is plain and simple.
Everything that is running (either in the background or foreground) is using system resources.
Disabling/preventing things from running will make a system run faster/smoother.

The real question with things like this is always "Will you notice the difference?"

It is like giving two systems a task.
System 1 will need 100 hours to complete it.
System 2 will need 100 hours and 1 microsecond to complete it.
Is system 1 faster?
Yes it sure is.

Do you as human notice the difference?
No you don't.

Offline starvinmarvin

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
It is plain and simple.
Everything that is running (either in the background or foreground) is using system resources.
Disabling/preventing things from running will make a system run faster/smoother.

The real question with things like this is always "Will you notice the difference?"

It is like giving two systems a task.
System 1 will need 100 hours to complete it.
System 2 will need 100 hours and 1 microsecond to complete it.
Is system 1 faster?
Yes it sure is.

Do you as human notice the difference?
No you don't.

Hey, you can't fool me. I know a microsecond when I see one .... :o