Author Topic: DISABLING AVAST "PASSWORDS  (Read 22960 times)

REDACTED

DISABLING AVAST "PASSWORDS
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
Hello All: 

I've just enabled the Passwords manager feature in Avast Free edition, but I can't tell if they're also still saved in my Google Chrome "Remember Passwords".

Avast Free came pre-installed in my new laptop, but I'd like to go back to the Antivirus that's included free with my internet provider.  So, please: Can anyone tell me:

1) If I uninstall Avast in order to reinstall my other Antivirus, will all my passwords be wiped out?

2) If so, how do I disable the feature BEFORE uninstalling Avast without losing all my saved passwords that were also in Google Chrome?

I'm totally tech-challenged.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks to all of you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: DISABLING AVAST "PASSWORDS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:33:30 AM »
1] Yes

2] Use a custom installation (as you should always do with all software)

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »
Any passwords that were saved by Chrome (not Avast) should still be there, even if you uninstall Avast.  You can check in Chrome to see:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

As a precaution, you can export the passwords from Avast's Settings before uninstalling Avast:

https://help.avast.com/en/av_free/17/page_passwords_settings.html

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
I see some misleading information here so you should know that:

Reinstalling/unistalling avast will not lead to your in avast passwords stored passwords wipe out!

You can remove component from Settings->Components - in case of Passwords you can just uninstall it form there

You should also remove browser extensions from browsers you have installed Avast passwords extension in if you want to quit with Avast Passwords
In Safe Zone Browser just disable passwords extension in Extension control center

Of course you can export all your passwords, you have several options - csv, format for chrome and/or firefox import - see Settings-> Passwords for more details

If you don't want to uninstall the component you can simply lock your vault and remove passwords storage using Forgot password recovery option which deletes vault in case you forget master password. This option is available with vault in locked state in Settings->Passwords. Note that this option is not available if you have synchronization enabled. If that's the case, turn off synchronization first and then Forgot password option become available.

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
I see some misleading information here so you should know that:

Reinstalling/unistalling avast will not lead to your in avast passwords stored passwords wipe out!
Does this mean that even if you use avastclear.exe to uninstall, passwords will remain behind?

In that case, I suppose you could use the "Forgot password" option to delete them before uninstalling?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:13:33 PM by Dix Huit »

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
To be honest, I need to test cleanup with avastclear, but I'm pretty sure files will stay there.
The only way how to clear remove passwords storage is forgotten master password option or physical removing passwords storage files from your disk.

Offline simonpockley

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
Avast password manager is driving me crazy. It relentlessly wants input and I want to get rid of it. How do I do this without disturbing anything else? I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop and use Chrome.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:06:26 AM by simonpockley »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »
Avast password manager is driving me crazy. It relentlessly wants input and I want to get rid of it. How do I do this without disturbing anything else? I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop and use Chrome.
-> https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle (Add/Remove components)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
Could you please be more specific which kind of input is requested by avast passwords?
If you want to get rid of it easiest and in my opinion, most effective way is to do following:
Go to Avast->Settings->Passwords
Turn off synchronization if it is enabled
Export data if you have any stored
Lock you passwords vault from settings
Use Forgotten Master Password to remove your vault
Uninstall Browser extensions if you have installed any
You are done

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
Could you please be more specific which kind of input is requested by avast passwords?
If you want to get rid of it easiest and in my opinion, most effective way is to do following:
Go to Avast->Settings->Passwords
Turn off synchronization if it is enabled
Export data if you have any stored
Lock you passwords vault from settings
Use Forgotten Master Password to remove your vault
Uninstall Browser extensions if you have installed any
You are done
Shouldn't this list include (just before "You are done") uninstalling the Avast Passwords component from Avast itself, as per https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle provided by Asyn?

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 12:20:44 AM »
Why would you do this? I'm insider (work in Avast passwords team) so don't expect suggestions to remove our component :-)

You, of course can do that, but as we are planning some cool features even for passive users you would miss them without the component.
If you do full cleanup as i described it, then passwords won't affect your system anyhow. Well ok we have few megabytes memory footprint and our component get few cycles of CPU, so if it is worth for you, feel free follow guide provided by Asyn to remove the component.
Now it is up to you.

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
 :-\ Sorry for suggesting that users uninstall your component.

And thank you for your clear answers and your presence on this board - I am sure users of Avast Passwords appreciate that. :)