Author Topic: Cannot Start new Avast 4.7 Home  (Read 6416 times)

AJones

Cannot Start new Avast 4.7 Home
« on: April 25, 2006, 08:03:33 PM »
Hi:

Ihad` to download and install Avast Home 4.7 as I had some problem with WinSock. I get this error as I start Avast 4.7

Unknown Error:
'Application cannot load usiGetSkin'

Lookup on FAQ

I tried C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/REGSRV32.exe ACTSKIN4.OCX

and I get this message

LoadLibrary ("actskin4.ocx") failed, The Specified module cannot be found

Where can I find this

Thanks,
Best Anti-Virus  Thus Far
AJ

AJones

Re: Cannot Start new Avast 4.7 Home
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:40:09 PM »
Got it working just downloaded actskin4.ocx from the web

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
You could also have tried an avast repair as an option. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AJones

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 09:25:07 PM »
I still have a problem, The resident shiled is not up, it is always disabled, I choose Standard, then on reboot, I dont get the icon in the Tray at startup. Am I doing anything wrong. How to save the settings in the Avast Control Center for Resident shield?

Thanks
AJ

AJones

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »
I had to press ashDisp in C:/Program Files/Alwil/Avast for the Resident shield Icon to be displayed in the Tray. Is this normal, earlier it would automatically come up at startup. Let me see on the next boot, if not is there a fix to this.

Thanks,
AJ

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »
I had to press ashDisp in C:/Program Files/Alwil/Avast for the Resident shield Icon to be displayed in the Tray. Is this normal, earlier it would automatically come up at startup
It's not normal... it should be there after logon. Are you using any security application that could be blocking the ashdisp.exe link to be automatically started? (like WinPatrol, TeaTimer, Spysweeper...).
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Let me see on the next boot, if not is there a fix to this.
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

AJones

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 11:14:32 PM »
I tried Repair while on the net, I will post what happened after I re boot, if it did not work, I will post upon re-install. The same problem as in this thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20700.0

Thanks
AJ

AJones

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »
Sorry I forgot to mention that I do have Firewall, MS Anti Spyware with Teatimer

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 11:35:19 PM »
Teatimer
  That is your problem, disable teatimer and all should go well

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:40:44 PM »
Disable teatimer, that will stop new startup entries being created, which will stop ashDisp.exe from starting. The same will be true of any new program you install that creates a startup entry.

Once disabled, uninstall avast and reboot, then install avast again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AJones

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 11:51:40 PM »
I re-installed it with MS AntiSpyware off, I get the ashDisp Icon in Tray along with VRDB updating Icon, I want to merge the two icons but VRDB icon does not open, not a big deal, I am sure it will on next reboot. Works like a charm as before , very nice to hear that Database has been updated.

Thanks
AJ

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:58:45 AM »
I want to merge the two icons but VRDB icon does not open
Maybe you can change this through avast4.ini file (click 'Settings' in my signature and you'll find more options).
Change the setting, save the file, mabye boot  ;)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 04:51:28 AM »

Although I agree that Teatimer may be preventing the proper installation, this can not be the total fault of Teatimer. Unless a setting had been diabled in some manner by the one who installed Teatimer, it will give you a pop-up announcement when a change is indicated to be made. Without this notification being active, I suggest that Teatimer is automatically blocking the change. But, as I said above, someone had to set it to act this way.