Author Topic: RC version 3.1 of the new on-premise Avast Business Management Console  (Read 17773 times)

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
Hello everyone,

it's Friday, it's the time when some starts thinking what to do on weekend. Well, we were thinking how to help you even with this :) and especially if the rainy weekend is ahead of you, you might be willing to take a look at the release candidate of the new on-premise console (cloud version will have the same features).
The long ride is almost over, the package is almost done, but not our passion, we already start working on new improvements that will push your satisfaction with our products to another level ;)

Stay tuned and please continue feeding us with your feedback.

If you have the previous version installed you can easily update to this one.

Where to get installer?
Please note: This is not an antivirus installer. You are about to install a solution for management of your devices,
a management console through which you will be able to download and install the antivirus.

Step1. Choose a console type
  • Docker image - available via Docker hub
    • This type is multi-platform and requires more advanced IT admin skills
    • Follow the instructions on how to run the console
  • Windows installer - available to download here
    • Open the .exe file and go through all the installation steps
    • We are highly recommend install into Virtual Machine or test environment

Step2. Get your trial license
  • Generate your trial license (choose one the the product, the rest of them can be started directly from the console later on)
  • This license has an expiration period of 60 days.
  • You can insert this code once inside the console (both Docker and Windows).

Step3. Sign-up to the console and upload the trial license
  • Sign-up and create your company account
  • Once on the dashboard you can insert your generated license code
  • Click the “add devices” button to download the installer of agent

We would appreciate any feedback from your side, not only obvious bugs but also any comments regarding things that doesn't make sense from your point of view, or any suggestion for improvements.

One last thing we want to share a little secret with you - this version of the Management Console will be available also as a Cloud version.

Thank you and looking forward to your feedback.
Product manager | Avast Business | 🗺 Roadmap

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: RC version 3.1 of the new on-premise Avast Business Management Console
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »
Hello everyone, it's Friday, it's the time when some starts thinking what to do on weekend. Well, we were thinking how to help you even with this :) and especially if the rainy weekend is ahead of you, you might be willing to take a look at the release candidate of the new on-premise console (cloud version will have the same features).
The long ride is almost over, the package is almost done, but not our passion, we already start working on new improvements that will push your satisfaction with our products to another level ;)
Wow Martin, didn't know that you're into poetry... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »
Is this a replacement for the SOA Console and can it be used with SOA Licenses ?

rg

Christian

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
1. Is this a replacement for the SOA Console
2. and can it be used with SOA Licenses ?
1. Yep.
2. Guess so, but wait for Martin.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »
So we can manage EPSP with this new console? If so that's great, if not can we transfer our licences?

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
Hello everyone, it's Friday, it's the time when some starts thinking what to do on weekend. Well, we were thinking how to help you even with this :) and especially if the rainy weekend is ahead of you, you might be willing to take a look at the release candidate of the new on-premise console (cloud version will have the same features).
Me neither. :) I just do not like to be boring, that's all ;)

1. Yep.
1. Yes
2. No. There will be a controlled way (from a customer point of view) how to "migrate" from the SOA/EA to the new Console. Which will include also the migration of your license.  [work in progress]

Offline jjsets

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
Sorry to bring up this issue again, but as I posted it on Friday on the now outdated 2.30 beta thread, I want to repeat it:
There seems to be no way to replace the certificate which is used during installation. The only way would be uninstalling and reinstalling Avast Business Management Console - where I would lose the installed clients and their settings.
The RC1 is a good step forward, but this is an important feature missing, I guess.

Update: Also I notice, when installing the Avast client on the same machine as the Avast Business Management Console, the console isn't accessable after a machine reboot. Disabling the Avast client firewall does only help when I do it fast enough, in the first minute after rebooting or so. This may be random though, as sometimes access is possible, sometimes not.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:35:56 PM by jjsets »

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »
Sorry to bring up this issue again, but as I posted it on Friday on the now outdated 2.30 beta thread, I want to repeat it:
There seems to be no way to replace the certificate which is used during installation. The only way would be uninstalling and reinstalling Avast Business Management Console - where I would lose the installed clients and their settings.
The RC1 is a good step forward, but this is an important feature missing, I guess.

Update: Also I notice, when installing the Avast client on the same machine as the Avast Business Management Console, the console isn't accessable after a machine reboot. Disabling the Avast client firewall does only help when I do it fast enough, in the first minute after rebooting or so. This may be random though, as sometimes access is possible, sometimes not.

From your point of view - is this problem general (for you) or would this exists only when making a transition from old avast product to the new one?

Offline jjsets

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
From my perspective the certificate replacement is a general issue.
SSL certificates usually have a run time from a year or less nowerdays for security reasons. When I install a Management Console for example on a windows server which is reachable from the net to provide administration for branch offices for example, it will be best practice to regularly replace the SSL certificate.
This may be necessary for other security reasons as well, just remember the heartbleed disaster. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed

Many people will use free certificates like those from let's encrypt https://letsencrypt.org/
Those will be replaced every three months.

Edit: Spelling ...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:10:46 PM by jjsets »

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
IMHO, the most important feature in a report is that you can share the information with other people, so you need to export the report to a PDF or other format to send by email, print or whatever.

We cannot export the report web page!

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
SSL certificate is a general issue. Small and Medium Business have not got their own certificate and if you have to add the cost of the Avast licenses to the cost of a certificate...
The procedure to add/remove/modify the certificate must be simple and it has no sense to install the console with the "default" certificate and have a security alert in your browser every time you want to access to your antivirus console, it's crazy!

In a Small and Medium Business the traffic between the server and the browser is in your LAN and it's not necessary to be HTTPS
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:10:03 PM by Infratech Solutions »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
Me neither. :) I just do not like to be boring, that's all ;)

1. Yep.
1. Yes
2. No. There will be a controlled way (from a customer point of view) how to "migrate" from the SOA/EA to the new Console. Which will include also the migration of your license.  [work in progress]

Ok that souds good - at what timeframe do you roughly expect the final release ?

rg
Christian

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

Offline misak

• Avast team
    • Personal page (CZE)
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:56:55 AM »
We cannot export the report web page!
You can "print" the report page to the PDF document. Google Chrome has built in PDF printer. Definitely, we can do a better job. Notes taken...

Offline jjsets

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
I can reproduce following behaviour:

Windows 10 Pro x64, 1703 version. Current Avast Business Management Console, Antivirus Pro Plus test license. Installed the Agent on the very same machine.

If I disable the firewall of the client too late, the Web Front End is not reachable, connection refused. When I disable the firewall early enough, the interface is reachable. I can only log-in with Firefox or Chrome. Edge/Internet Explorer will work for the first account setup, but log-in always returns to the login web site with the Microsoft web browsers.

When the firewall is disabled, the Avast client will crash after a few minutes. It shows

.. something along the lines "Avast  has failed" in german. It offers to restart the service, which will show green light for a few seconds, but then fail again.
*Update 13:20h* The client seems to crash reliably even without disabling the firewall!
Program version: 17.6.2525 (build 17.6.3625.0)
VIrus DB: 140904-2

Please let me know if and how I can help gathering data for debugging or help tracking down the issue.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:26:34 PM by jjsets »