Author Topic: RC version 3.1 of the new on-premise Avast Business Management Console  (Read 17772 times)

Offline Jan Suchan

• Avast team
Re: RC version 3.1 of the new on-premise Avast Business Management Console
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
Hi jjsets,

Sorry to bring up this issue again, but as I posted it on Friday on the now outdated 2.30 beta thread, I want to repeat it:
There seems to be no way to replace the certificate which is used during installation. The only way would be uninstalling and reinstalling Avast Business Management Console - where I would lose the installed clients and their settings.

Although we don't provide any tool (yet) to change a certificate, you can do it manually. The path to the certificate as well as the password are saved in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Management Console\console\config\application-user-config.yml and you can change them anytime. The console just has to be restarted after that. Look at "keyStorePath" and keep in mind that ${local.securityResources} points to ${local.homeDirectory}\certificates (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Management Console\console\certificates by default). It's a bit complicated, we will simplify it in the next version.

Update: Also I notice, when installing the Avast client on the same machine as the Avast Business Management Console, the console isn't accessable after a machine reboot. Disabling the Avast client firewall does only help when I do it fast enough, in the first minute after rebooting or so. This may be random though, as sometimes access is possible, sometimes not.

Thanks for bringing this up. We are already aware of the issue and it is being actively investigated.

Thanks,
Jan
Jan Suchan
Avast Business Lead Developer

Offline Libor Ambruz

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »
Hi jjsets,

If I disable the firewall of the client too late, the Web Front End is not reachable, connection refused. When I disable the firewall early enough, the interface is reachable.

This is the issue we are aware of. Please turn off the firewall, go to the corresponding Settings in the console and enable rule named "Avast MC PostgresSQL" in Rules \ Advanced packet rules in Firewall customize section of settings by clicking the corresponding checkbox. Turn on the Firewall, try to restart your pc and it should already work properly.

We prepared this rule for this purpose, but we don't allow it automatically as it isn't necessary for all the computers. Ideally create a special settings only for this pc, because it isn't necessary to open this port on all your computers.

I can only log-in with Firefox or Chrome. Edge/Internet Explorer will work for the first account setup, but log-in always returns to the login web site with the Microsoft web browsers.
There is a problem with cookies in IE and Edge when you are accessing page using only hostname. It is needed access console using FQDN (Fully qualified domain name - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_qualified_domain_name).

For example FQDN is KOVACIA.int.avast.com and in IE and Edge does not work accessing console using only KOVACIA.

When the firewall is disabled, the Avast client will crash after a few minutes. It shows...
This is an issue which should be fixed by prepared update today or tomorrow.

Please write us back if you need more information and thank you for information, we really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Libor

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 03:53:56 PM »
Hello everyone, it's Friday, it's the time when some starts thinking what to do on weekend. Well, we were thinking how to help you even with this :) and especially if the rainy weekend is ahead of you, you might be willing to take a look at the release candidate of the new on-premise console (cloud version will have the same features).
The long ride is almost over, the package is almost done, but not our passion, we already start working on new improvements that will push your satisfaction with our products to another level ;)
Wow Martin, didn't know that you're into poetry... ;)
Me neither. :) I just do not like to be boring, that's all ;)

1. Is this a replacement for the SOA Console
2. and can it be used with SOA Licenses ?
1. Yep.
2. Guess so, but wait for Martin.
1. Yes
2. No. There will be a controlled way (from a customer point of view) how to "migrate" from the SOA/EA to the new Console. Which will include also the migration of your license.  [work in progress]

Ok that souds good - at what timeframe do you roughly expect the final release ?

rg
Christian

I can't tell, although it's hard to keep the secret "inside", but I'll try to come up with better answer tomorrow.
Product manager | Avast Business | 🗺 Roadmap

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »
We prepared this rule for this purpose, but we don't allow it automatically as it isn't necessary for all the computers. Ideally create a special settings only for this pc, because it isn't necessary to open this port on all your computers. Ideally create a special settings only for this pc, because it isn't necessary to open this port on all your computers.

So, this must be done "by default" during the installation or create a rule only to give access to the IP address of the console machine.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 06:13:20 PM »
I can reproduce following behaviour:

Windows 10 Pro x64, 1703 version. Current Avast Business Management Console, Antivirus Pro Plus test license. Installed the Agent on the very same machine.

If I disable the firewall of the client too late, the Web Front End is not reachable, connection refused. When I disable the firewall early enough, the interface is reachable. I can only log-in with Firefox or Chrome. Edge/Internet Explorer will work for the first account setup, but log-in always returns to the login web site with the Microsoft web browsers.

When the firewall is disabled, the Avast client will crash after a few minutes. It shows

.. something along the lines "Avast  has failed" in german. It offers to restart the service, which will show green light for a few seconds, but then fail again.
*Update 13:20h* The client seems to crash reliably even without disabling the firewall!
Program version: 17.6.2525 (build 17.6.3625.0)
VIrus DB: 140904-2

Please let me know if and how I can help gathering data for debugging or help tracking down the issue.

same here after the last update the service under windows 10 fails every few minutes
rg
Christian

Offline jjsets

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
Another observation: I can install and then choose additonal languages only on the Antivirus client. (N.b.: the list shows the entries sorted by the english language names, but shows the language names translated. Thus german ends up behind french ["Deutsch" after "Französisch" in the list] this is irritating). I don't find something like language selection in Avast Business Management Console which would control the language used in the GUI by the AV clients.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:30:03 PM by jjsets »

Offline Libor Ambruz

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »
Hi Infratech Solutions,

We prepared this rule for this purpose, but we don't allow it automatically as it isn't necessary for all the computers. Ideally create a special settings only for this pc, because it isn't necessary to open this port on all your computers. Ideally create a special settings only for this pc, because it isn't necessary to open this port on all your computers.

So, this must be done "by default" during the installation or create a rule only to give access to the IP address of the console machine.

As I mentioned in my former comment, we didn't enable it due to security reasons. Wouldn't you consider it as a security hole that this port would be enabled on all the computers in your network if you don't create a special policy for them?

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Yes, I agree. This is the reason of "...or create a rule only to give access to the IP address of the console machine."

By default, the console must be accesible without any configuration of the final user/customer.

Offline jjsets

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »
+1 for Infratech Solutions on that matter. At least "localhost" and local IP should be allowed to access Avast BMC by default.

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
Date format is always MM/DD/YY even if you choose a different language/country from english (spanish in my case) where date format must be DD/MM/YY.

This was communicated in BETA 2.28 (see picture), not fixed.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 01:08:39 AM »
Date format is always MM/DD/YY even if you choose a different language/country from english (spanish in my case) where date format must be DD/MM/YY.

This was communicated in BETA 2.28 (see picture), not fixed.

This should be default. Most places in the world use DD/MM/YY format. Please make this change  :D

Offline jjsets

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
Trying SecureLine VPN: It doesn't work. I can change the server location and the other settings to autostart the connection, but nothing helps. When I press the "Connect"-button (I use the german GUI so this might be called differently in reality), another task without window opens and closes. But no secured connection is available then. We can reproduce this behaviour on two different (virtual) machines.

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
Same here.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
Hello,

Thanks to some help from the "Beta" thread (thanks Nevik), I managed to get the Docker Containers to work, and the console to load.

Here is the information Nevik kindly provided to me in the other thread:

git clone https://github.com/avast/management-console-config.git
cd management-console-config
Edit the ".env" file, set AFB_HOSTNAME=hostname_of_your_machine
docker-compose ps
docker-compose up

Regards, Stephen
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:45:31 AM by studio_two »

Offline jjsets

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
"Smart Scan" doesn't seem to look into the user's download folder.

A downloaded eicar.com (disabled Avast for the download) didn't lead to a detection, when I started the fast scan "Smart Scan". A right-click-scan of the file in Windows Explorer worked though and led to a detection.

Releasing the file from Virus Vault with Avast BMC didn't move the file back to the download-location. This happened when I disabled the Avast protection for some time again, then the file re-appeared.

During that time, I started another eicar.com-download which got stored as eicar(1).com in the same directory. After the download was finished, I reenabled Avast. The second download was immediatly found, a slide-up informed about it - without starting any scan manually, detection by the resident shield obviously.

"Full Scan" finds the file eicar.com (the restored old file) in the last % of the search thereafter.

This behaviour seems a little weird to me.