Author Topic: ashDisp.exe Crashing  (Read 5450 times)

y2kboy23

ashDisp.exe Crashing
« on: April 26, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »
Just recently I have upgraded my OS to XP 64bit edition.  The one bug that makes me mad is that ashdisp.exe likes to crash.  I did go and use the compatibility feature and set it to xp and that seems to lengthen the time it runs but it still crashes.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I don't believe it has to do with Avast as my iTunes also does the same but I don't know.  Thanks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: ashDisp.exe Crashing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:32:10 PM »
What's the exact error message when the crash occurs?
Are there any .mdmp (or maybe unpXXXXX.tmp) files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

y2kboy23

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »
There isn't a window that pops up.  The icon in the system tray just disapperes when I put my mouse over it.  There are also 3 .mdmp files but they are all empty.  I have enabled logging to the level of debug hopeing that might help with the situation.

EDIT: I think I found what is causing the problem.  I think it was a dll and I am testing to see if that really was the cause.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:29:22 PM by y2kboy23 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
If yes, do you have any more info on that DLL?

y2kboy23

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:57:14 PM »
The dll was the raphook.dll from my ATI Tray Tools program.  I have posted a message on their forum and they gave me some info on how to not let it happen again and since then, I have not had a problem with it crashing.  If you need any more help with making avast a better program, I do what I can.  Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
Quote from: y2kboy23
I have posted a message on their forum and they gave me some info on how to not let it happen again and since then, I have not had a problem with it crashing.

Sharing that information here (or a link to the advice) could help others with the same set-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 07:43:44 PM »

Yes, posting a link here to your question & the help given on that forum could be of value to someone else who may have the same type of problem.    :)

drhayden1

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:59 PM »
installed the update on a friend's hp laptop and the new update crashed.......i did'nt get a chance to see the error it 8) :o was......must of turned my head or something.......the avast!won't remove from the add/remove programs and its still in c drive program files.......but it disappeared the from desktop icon and tray icon.......should i go into safe mode and install and re-install or what is the best thing to do........the new update and version works JUST FINE on my alienware laptop............is  there a probletm with the new avast! or what happened???????????

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 09:11:27 PM »
drhayden1, please don't hijack this thread. There's another thread about the problem with the latest version, and there's also a note about the problem on our main page www.avast.com
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drhayden1

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:17:39 PM »
thanks vlk...i saw the article on the main page and the avast!is now working on her hp laptop .....sorry bout' hijacking this thread(explain please....i'm not on forums most)and thanks for your help and the avast!pro i have on my alienware laptop!have a good one 8) ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:28:40 PM by drhayden1 »

y2kboy23

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »
Ok, below is the link to my other article.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=180487

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:44:23 PM »

drhayden1 -

What Vlk means is that your post above had little to do with the topic of this thread (ashDisp.exe Crashing) ... hence, the reference to hijacking this thread.

I hope this helps you.    :)

drhayden1

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 12:16:54 AM »
thanks charleyO..........for the explanation :o..........have a good avast! and everything else one!