Author Topic: Avast 17.6.2310 causing Java installation to fail and Java binaries to crash  (Read 1221 times)

REDACTED

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, latest updates, running Avast 17.6.2310 (build 17.6.3625.0).

For... I don't even know how long, I've been getting error 1603 when attempting to install Java 8 Update 144. Only today was I able to successfully install it. The thing that changed? I disabled all Avast shields before running the installer.

Unfortunately, even after a successful installation and re-enabling all Avast shields, the Java binary would crash. Even a basic "java.exe -h" from a console window would cause a "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working" error. Disable all Avast shields and the same command would run without a problem.

This also affects Java binaries that come packaged with applications. In my case, JetBrains products like PhpStorm and DataGrip are affecting, making database interaction impossible without disabling Avast.

Any insight on how to work around this would be much appreciated.

Edit: It appears that adding exclusions to the Behavior shield (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Java\*") will allow the binary to run without crashing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:49:12 AM by Ryan L. »