Author Topic: Printing Problems  (Read 6134 times)

cadyg

Printing Problems
« on: August 18, 2005, 02:59:07 PM »
I have read other topics in here regarding problems with printing emails from OE & web pages from IE. It appears from the other topics that if NAV is not completely unistalled this is what is causing the problem.

We are a small company with 10 PC's all running MS XP, 98 & 2000. I uninstalled NAV & installed Avast pro 4. Two PC's work great, as in you can print emails & print from IE, BUT the other 8 PC's you can't. Also, I can no longer access windows updates or find IE explorer (to repair) in my "Add/Remove" utility.

Plus, if you look in IE's 'Help' 'About IE' the "Version" "Cypher Strength" & "ID" information is all missing!! AND, the 'OK' button is disabled.

When is Avast going to admit that there is a problem, and if it is a problem with unistalling NAV, release a 'Tool' to run and clear the remaining bits that NAV have left behind. MY MD is wanting me to unistall Avast and go back to NAV Plus the other nine users aren't convinced either that Avast is the better out of the two AND, How many of their friends they are going to tell about the problems we are having!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Printing Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 03:21:33 PM »
This is not a problem caused by Avast. This is a problem caused by Symantec, they should provide a decent uninstaller with their software. Nothing Alwil can do about it.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO UNINSTALL NAV

1) Uninstall Avast using add/remove and then running the uninstall util from the website.
2) Reboot
3) Uninstall NAV according to the instructions on Symantecs website
4) Reboot
5) Install Avast

That should solve the problem.

cadyg

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:31:24 PM »
Hi,
I didn't say that this is Avast's problem. I said it's a problem that Avast should admit to. I will try your method and hopefully it will resolve the problem

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:15:45 PM »
When is Avast going to admit that there is a problem, and if it is a problem with unistalling NAV, release a 'Tool' to run and clear the remaining bits that NAV have left behind.
Why should avast! go to the expense and design a tool to clean up after NAV, if NAV changes its installation in any way in the future, avast would have to find out about this change and modify the tool.
That is totally unrealistic this task truely should be a function of NAV or any AV for that matter or are you saying they should built a tool to get rid of the remnants of other AVs?

I didn't say that this is Avast's problem. I said it's a problem that Avast should admit to.
I don't follow your logic, admit to what, that NAV causes potential conflict problems because it doesn't fully uninstall? On these forums were constantly admitting that there is a problem with the uninstall of NAV.

The NAV 2003 removal tool can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe
Manual Removal NAV 2004 - Manual Removal NAV 2004
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 11:07:03 PM »
...and following that idea one day avast! will end up with 20 Mb of additional program code which will have all known antivirus uninstallers... like that should be an avast!'s job or what ??? ::)

Avast! is an antivirus and not a tool for cleaning other antiviruses from your machine, therefore there is nothing avast! should or have to admit... there is no problem at all. Where is "cleaning" utility for avast! and other antiviruses inside Norton ? C'mon...

And before you are trying to install any other antivirus, you should know that you have to completely uninstall Norton and how to do that. If you don't know, I suggest you to search for some info, even in these forums if not everywhere else on the net. Everyone knows how nasty Norton really is, especially when you want to get rid of such a system hog. If your pals wants to go back to Norton, do they have any good reason to give ? Maybe they are some experts and they know how everything works and what are those "advantages" that Norton gives you. Like always, "ignorance is bliss"... they have heard about Norton because it's everywhere, people selling that crap even in grocery stores. And when they hear about some other antivirus, that other antivirus is crap for them... wanna talk about efficiency and features offered by each one ?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 11:18:08 PM by Slaaaaap! Hihihihi »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

thedon57

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:50:45 PM »
Hi good on you other forums are always telling people who come on line how to uninstall nortons properly, I have never had nortons because i read up on it, before i was going to install it, that is how i came to install one of the best antiviruses out and proud to be part of avast.

But  some people never learn.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 04:01:46 AM »
We are a small company with 10 PC's all running MS XP, 98 & 2000. I uninstalled NAV & installed Avast pro 4. Two PC's work great, as in you can print emails & print from IE, BUT the other 8 PC's you can't. Also, I can no longer access windows updates or find IE explorer (to repair) in my "Add/Remove" utility.
I had to uninstall NAV for more than 20 computers: XP, Me, 98 and 2k.
I've installed for me and for friends avast!
I'm absolutely sure that bad uninstallation of NAV is the problem in all system with a new antivirus program.
NAV is more difficult to get rid than a virus  :P
avast! never stop me to have access to Windows Updates (the problem, sometimes, are pirated versions).
Problems in your system seem to be concerned to bad NAV uninstallation plus Registry Cleaners mistakes... but, of course, I could be wrong.

When is Avast going to admit that there is a problem, and if it is a problem with unistalling NAV, release a 'Tool' to run and clear the remaining bits that NAV have left behind.
This is a work for Symantec not for Alwil Company. Be logical... Admit what? That NAV is uninstalable?  :)

MY MD is wanting me to unistall Avast and go back to NAV Plus the other nine users aren't convinced either that Avast is the better out of the two AND, How many of their friends they are going to tell about the problems we are having!!
Let your friends try to get help from Symantec technical support and you'll convince them where is the paradise ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 04:10:42 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:15:21 PM »
cadyg - we are not trying to "attack" you or your opinion, but please be realistic and try to take all those little things in consideration. We're just trying to explain this to you in a best possible way. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, that makes you real individual, but try to think about everything we just said, and you'll see we are telling the truth...

Also, like Tech already said... where is the Norton's support ? Through e-mails, through forums like this, through the phone ? And all that for free ? I don't think so... we all gather here to help others when they experience some problems, but also we gather in here to ask for help when needed. Also we all are great friends in here... That makes us much more different than any other forum out there, and I would say... much better. You can be a huge part and valuable member of these forums as well... you just need to want that...  ;)

Regards !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

tzshaner

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:14:23 PM »
if you are still having the issues with the 'About IE'  not showing the "Version" "Cypher Strength" & "ID" information, it just means that vbscript has gotten unregistered.  just go to start->run then enter "regsvr32 vbscript.dll" and that should return IE back to normal.

drhayden1

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 12:16:32 AM »
not to mention that norton comes pre-installed on some or all hp,compaq and probably some other computers when people turn on their brand new computers.....did'nt mean to cut in on conversations which is very interesting but to some people norton is all they know because that is what is there and is so well known and problably have no reason to look for other a/v until something goes wrong..........have a good one avast!world 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:26:21 AM by drhayden1 »

tzshaner

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 07:16:07 AM »
actually, i mis-spoke on my previous post about vbscript.dll.  The problem file is actually jscript.dll that has gotten unregistered.  so running "regsvr32 jscript.dll" should return functionality to IE.

Travis

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 04:42:35 AM »

Welcome to the forums, cadyg.    :)

No one on this forum has ever said that the poor uninstall of Symantec/Norton products was not a problem. To the contrary, we have too many times told how to get rid of Symantec/Norton left-over files/registry entries. The same is mostly true of McAfee. My personal opinion is that Symantec/Norton does this as a way to discourage customers from using another anti-virus product.

Just use the forum search feature and search for ... uninstall NAV ... and you will get too many results where we help people get rid of Symantec/Norton. Admit there is a problem? Well, that search will be more than enough proof.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 06:24:34 AM »
I am not sure why tzshaner dredged up this old post but CharleyO you are a little late to welcome cadyg and respond to someone who has not visited the forum since last September.

Maybe this post can drift back quietly to the past.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 05:35:51 AM »

Oops! You're right, alanf. I forgot to check the date on the first post.    :-[