Author Topic: Avast vs Norton/McAfee...  (Read 33849 times)

b1ack_0ps

Avast vs Norton/McAfee...
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »
Just a quick question.. Is Avast better than larger Antivirus providers like Norton and McAfee?  :-\

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast vs Norton/McAfee...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:20:06 PM »
Well depends on what you mean. From resources usage and tech support stand point it's indeed superior. Can't argue with that.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

b1ack_0ps

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:09 PM »
Well depends on what you mean. From resources usage and tech support stand point it's indeed superior. Can't argue with that.
yea i was thinking like overall...  ;D

b1ack_0ps

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »
:o no one knows?! :O

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:30:59 PM »
Well, update frequency isn't exactly the best. Same for response times, though McAfee and Symantec aren't exactly pearls either. Lack of heuristics for On-Access scanner is also a small drawback. But other than that i really can't complain and Alwil team is working on nearly all things that users complain about. So eventually they'll improve even on this area.

b1ack_0ps

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:37:18 PM »
Well, update frequency isn't exactly the best. Same for response times, though McAfee and Symantec aren't exactly pearls either. Lack of heuristics for On-Access scanner is also a small drawback. But other than that i really can't complain and Alwil team is working on nearly all things that users complain about. So eventually they'll improve even on this area.
Which would you prefer?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 09:45:23 PM »
Why "would"?

This is an AVAST support forum, ie. people who are here ARE using avast. That is, they have chosen avast. ;) :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

StyleWarz

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:46:33 PM »
From the three products you mentioned I would choose avast!, however there are many more nice products around. Just trial them and see what you like.

@Vlk
Well said, however closing your eyes is never good of course ;)

b1ack_0ps

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 09:47:55 PM »
Why "would"?

This is an AVAST support forum, ie. people who are here ARE using avast. That is, they have chosen avast. ;) :)
well, i'm trying to decide if I should get rid of Avast ebcause it seems un-professional and i'm wondering if its better than Norton or McAfee

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 09:48:17 PM »
Exactly what Vlk said. And Alwil Software is among rare few companies that actually listens to users and users have chance to speak directly with programmers and program managers. Not something that you can see or do often in these days. For me this is a very important factor, possible even more important than raw detection rate.

StyleWarz

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 09:50:34 PM »
Why "would"?

well, i'm trying to decide if I should get rid of Avast ebcause it seems un-professional and i'm wondering if its better than Norton or McAfee
What makes you having this opinion?

b1ack_0ps

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 09:54:47 PM »
Why "would"?

What makes you having this opinion?
Just the way it all looks when i'm running it.. It dosn't look as professional as Norton and McAfee.. I recentley got a new computer thats why i'm so interested in finding out which one is the best.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 10:11:36 PM »
What is your definition of professional? Mine is that I am protected and the programme is relatively easy to use and clear.  OK I'm biased Avast is my programme of choice - set and forget

drhayden1

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 10:16:08 PM »
i've got avast!pro from having avast!home for a few years and it may not be the best(not one a/v program can find it all)but the support and the feedback and the care of the product makes a different too....I've tried Avg home and paid version(free version with candy coating)Norton 2005......very hard to get off computer once it's on......Panda and a few others.....and when i got my new laptop guess what's on it??but the decision is up to you!!??? 8) ::) :P

hlecter

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 11:12:28 PM »
Just a quick question.. Is Avast better than larger Antivirus providers like Norton and McAfee? :-\

A quick and clear  ;) answer from my point of view:

It depends.

For me, the choice is very easy.
I have a three year free subscipton on Norman antivirus delivered with my PC,
but I prefer Avast.
But I assume this forum is not the right place to get an objective answer to your question. That said, this forum is a strength that Avast has.  ;D

Not many AV's, if any, has such a forum.

Good luck in your choice.  :)
HL