Author Topic: Avast vs Norton/McAfee...  (Read 33845 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast vs Norton/McAfee...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 12:01:16 AM »
Just the way it all looks when i'm running it.. It dosn't look as professional as Norton and McAfee.. I recentley got a new computer thats why i'm so interested in finding out which one is the best.

Well there any number of different skins you can download and apply if it's eye candy you are looking for.

Personally I feel avast is one of the most configurable and flexible AV that I have ever used, I haven't used McAfee though and based on other opinions I wouldn't. It is also relatively light on resources and isn't harder than a virus to remove it should you choose to after the 60 day unrestricted trial period, unlike Norton.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ross

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 04:31:44 AM »
I really wish the Avast team would change the default skin. I think the 'silhouette' by szcraftec is the nicest I've seen (I'm a fan of their website too...)

Pherhaps they could ask for the rights to use it by default? The interface can make the program feel 'cheap' and can hide the functionality somewhat. Just a thought  :D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 04:52:22 AM »
We've been living with more or less the same default skin since December 2002 (when avast 4.0 was released) so I guess we can wait for another X* month for v5 with completely remodelled UI...

*substitute for a number between 6 and 18, depending on many things.

Take care
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 09:11:47 AM »
Just what sort of stupid comment is "it does not look professional"? 

I have to doubt the credentials of anyone with the userid of b1ack_0ps who, I have to suspect, is not really here looking for genuine advice.

That being said, is this the best antivirus solution you can find? ... in all honesty ... I doubt it ... but they are working on it ... they are hungry ... and they have others in their sights. (These folks remind me of a little known company I awarded a large corporate contract to - quite a few years ago - because they showed this style ... they were a new company called Trend Micro).     

Is this the best free antivirus solution? ... debateable ... but for the price point ... few should complain.   

Is this the best antivirus support forum? ... of that I have absolutely no doubt whatever - not just because of the quality of advice of the users here but because of the clear, active, professional & friendly participation of the avast development team .

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 09:27:27 AM »
We've been living with more or less the same default skin since December 2002 (when avast 4.0 was released) so I guess we can wait for another X* month for v5 with completely remodelled UI...

Take care
Vlk

Eeeeeee, v5 details are leaking slowly... ;D Can't wait to get my hands on beta version :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 09:34:03 AM »
I guess how pretty it looks is the overriding factor for some rather than it being the fastest and best antivirus detector it can be.

Nevertheless, I hope that b1ack_0ps has found somewhere else to go and play.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »
Alan was p*ssed at b1ack_0ps and spoke in haste in response to RejZoR for which he apologizes.  The "look" of the product is indeed one of the selling points.

However, in defense of his response to b1ack_0ps, Alan insists that the foisting of the "corporate look" on products purchased by Symantec (for example Goback) is certainly no way to attract customers.

jan paul

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »
I am very very Happy with avast I would recommend it!!
I use an on line scanner as back up no scanner will find everything!!
Avast has stopped viruses on my computer for example when downloading with p2p limewire. Worked very good for me. I now use bitdefender 8 free as 2nd opinion scanner. It found 1 Trojan but not an active one.
Its definitely the best of the free scanners, maybe antivir finds a little bit more viruses bur avast scan email p2p and thats very nice..

ross

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 03:58:03 PM »

Take care
Vlk

Awesome news! Cant wait for v5's release :) :) :)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »
seems like tons of users are unable to use non skinned UI so they like use excuse un-prof look ...

oh well + some great 3rd party skins are around ...

man look is last in line of "points" You should consider while using "security" program

Avast UI is strong (considering Pro version offers You 2(pro,noskin)+1(skin) main types while one is completely modable and Home offers 1+1

feature set, if You ignore "heuristic" point then Avast got huge support of packers and archive formats more than most of other AVs ...

BUT if there is any reason why really "fire&forget" Avast
then IMHO it's for bad / slow response on adding new less common threats (trojans/worms)

in that area excels Kaspersky AntiVirus , Dr.Web and NOD32
(these 2 You mentioned are waste of time and cash just to bother with)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 05:12:10 PM »
I feel Avast rocks and stands on top among the other bigger counterparts!!

Keep the good work Avast and Avastians!!! (how is this for name?)!

Spiritsongs

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 07:39:47 PM »
 :)  Hi All :

In my opinion, anything is better than "bloatware" McAfee
      or Symantec/Norton .

CharleyO

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »

Since there are many slins available, I fail to understand why anyone complains about the default skin. If you do not like it, change it by downloading a skin you do like. It is as simple as that.

Anyone have some cheese?    ;)    ;D

drhayden1

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 01:35:44 AM »
should we change the subject to avast vs avg so it can go on for couple more pages.....just kidding,i guess.....hi everyone in avast!land ......you tooooo spiritsongs!??and to charleyO above post.....what type of chesse????? ;D :D..........does anyone know the address for the security ops website?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:50:04 AM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
Anyone speaking ;D - Security-Ops.eu.tt
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security