Author Topic: Avast vs Norton/McAfee...  (Read 33848 times)

Rick F

Re: Avast vs Norton/McAfee...
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 09:32:06 PM »
Just a quick question.. Is Avast better than larger Antivirus providers like Norton and McAfee?  :-\

I've never tried Norton's because I heard it was a big resource hog.  But I used McAfee for many years... from about version 2 (back when it would fit on a floppy).  Until about 10 months ago I used McAfee's VirusScan-7 and for 3 years was a volunteer moderator for McAfee's Help Forum (they called us McAfee Maniacs).  As a moderator, I was entitled to download their latest software for free.  But I never wanted to upgrade to VS-8, 9 or 10 because it uses Active-X processing AND has fewer features than VS-7 (McAfee is/was trying to stream-line their product). I had to give up on McAfee because it was slowing down my Win98.  Many - if not all - users of Win98 & WinME are having slow-down issues with all versions of McAfee.  McAfee hasn't really addressed this issue either. They think is has to do with the scan engine (4400) and the growing size of their DAT (data base of virus definitions).  They have a new engine coming out soon (5000), but it's not going to work on Win98 systems we're told.  I just heard last week that version 11 (which will be their next AV product) WILL NOT work on Win98 machines.  I think McAfee is making a big mistake which will benefit any other vendors of AV products who still offer products for Win98 users.  Win98 is still being used by a lot of folks.

I've been very happy with avast!  I've not had a single infection on my computer since switching to avast.  The product is easy to use and it updates itself (iAVS) regularly. The AWIL team have done a great job!  I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Pro product.  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 06:17:07 PM by Rick F »

siliconego

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 07:59:05 AM »
Wow, I just joined and the first things I read are idiot,stupid,rude comments by those that think they are god.

Well, I am sure you will talk crap about me but since you matter not, I hope the AVAST people read this and get rid of you evangelist jerks.
You just made the choice for me NOT to use avast.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 10:07:47 AM »
Well then, I suspect it is welcome and goodbye to siliconego.

I do not believe that any of us claim to be godlike, but many here - far more than I do - have great knowledge and understanding of this product and have assisted countless others with the benefit of their experience.  They have also survived many throw away comments like yours.

When we next see you it will probably be under a different name and we will still be happy to welcome you. 

Meanwhile ... wishing you success with your choice of antivirus.

por100pre1

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 01:59:15 PM »
Wow, I just joined and the first things I read are idiot,stupid,rude comments by those that think they are god.

Well, I am sure you will talk crap about me but since you matter not, I hope the AVAST people read this and get rid of you evangelist jerks.
You just made the choice for me NOT to use avast.

When Norton AV messed up my computer I wished Symantec had this kind of "evangelist jerks" ready to help me. Now that I am an avast! user, it's good to know that they are here to help me even if I don't need them.

drhayden1

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 03:33:13 PM »
same feelings here toooooooo!!!!!you at the avast!forum have helped me with some minor avast!problems in the past and thank you for that.......it's nice to know there are good and knowledgeable people out there in this forum to help when it's needed.................as long as there is a avast! a/v product it will be on my computer.......and of course......i also appreciated the so-called ""evangelist jerks"" out there.......have a good one avast!world......................... ;D :D :P :-X
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 03:36:06 PM by drhayden1 »

JerryM

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »
I have used both Norton (for almost 5 years), and McAfee for a trial. I never had an issue with either, and according to AV Comparatives both have a higher detection rate than Avast.

However, I prefer Avast and am using the Home version on my laptop. It has never had any compatibility issues. FWIW I am using KAV6 on  my desktop, and will buy it when it is for sale. I like the detection rates of KAV.

It may seem inconsistent, but I am planning to keep Avast free on my laptop, and together with Ewido I think the degree of protection does not suffer in comparison with other top AVs. I like Avast, and have recommended it, and installed it on several computers including my daughter's. None have had an infection.

Hope this helps from a non-geek that has Avast and other AV, and likes them both.

Jerry

por100pre1

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 03:38:50 AM »
I think there's something here to think about:

well, i'm trying to decide if I should get rid of Avast ebcause it seems un-professional and i'm wondering if its better than Norton or McAfee

When I used avast! for the first time I just had the same impression (lol). Let me say it in a different way; avast! Home doesn't look like an average AV program. In fact, with its default skin, it looks more like a media player. Maybe another skin (like the avast! Brushed skin) can make avast! Home look more "professional" to first time users.

Steele

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 04:21:41 AM »
Just a quick question.. Is Avast better than larger Antivirus providers like Norton and McAfee?  :-\

I can't see the relevance in allowing this conversation to continue since people come to Alwil for help regarding the Avast product line.
There is indeed a severe conflict of interest in such a discussion in the Avast!webforum.
I think if you want a more un-biased concensus... you should ask this question at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sware

DSLREPORTS.com is a good place to post such a question.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 04:24:54 AM by Steele »