Author Topic: Version 4.7 and Cybersitter  (Read 3252 times)

leesam

Version 4.7 and Cybersitter
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »
In the last two days, as computers on our network have been updating to version 4.7, the Windows 98se machines have been displaying multiple "Avast Encounters Error" messages. The only way I've found to stop the errors was to uninstall Cybersitter internet filltering software. This is not a very good option since this is a school and we don't want students to have access to unfiltered internet. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions to fix it?

leesam ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Version 4.7 and Cybersitter
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »
What are these multiple "Avast Encounters Error" messages ?

avast isn't a content filtering program, it is looking for virus content rather than adult content.

I'm trying to read between the lines here and I believe you may be saying that you are getting either redirected to adult web sites or getting pop-ups of adult sites ?

If so these are browser hijackings, usually adware. There are a number anti-adware/spyware tools that you might want to add to your defences.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leesam

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:11:14 PM »
I'm sorry if my message was unclear. No, I'm not getting any redirects or pop up windows for              . The problem seems to be an incompatibility between the software I use to prevent such things and Avast. I understand that Avast does not filter content (although it would be nice to have one solution for all  :) ).

I don't remember exactly what the error messages were that came up for Avast, the dialog that kept opening is the one for reporting (sending) errors to Alwil. As many as 20 of these were stacked on top of each other.

I am experimenting with using the latest version of Cybersitter on these machines and will report back if this solves the problem.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:09:35 PM »
Are there any (recent) unpXXXXXX.tmp files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

leesam

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:35:20 PM »
Ok. I solved it.

I installed the latest version of Cybersitter (9.0) and it worked fine. I hope this helps others.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:24:03 AM »

Welcome to the forums, leesam.    :)

Thank you for posting the solution to your problem.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)