Author Topic: NEWBIE: Chrome and Firefox will not run in Sandbox  (Read 4496 times)

Offline guillermo220

Re: NEWBIE: Chrome and Firefox will not run in Sandbox
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
It´s still working ok for me. I´m using it right now with Firefox.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
Hi,
I'm sorry that I opened a new topic on the same issue before finding this one, but I would like to ask the OP and guillermo220 a question. Have you tried, now that Firefox is working fine, to virtualize the history and the bookmarks to see if the changes made on both are dropped after you close the sandboxed app? In my case Chrome works perfectly in the sandbox until I run Firefox in it. Firefox will always fail to connect to the internet and I have to restart the PC to clear the sandbox. After that, Chrome will also fail in virtualizing the history and the bookmarks.
Thank you very much.

Offline guillermo220

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »
Hi,

Apparently no. Bookmarks and history remains. A new tab open in sandbox was closed when I closed sandbox. Then when I reopened Firefox without sandbox the tab was gone. I don´t know if that´s a feature or a bug.  :D
I will try with Chrome.

Offline guillermo220

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
Well Chrome it´s the same as Firefox. Bookmarks and history remains once closed sandbox. 
I have no other problems about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
Thank You,
in my case, even if I specifically selected the options to virtualize bookmarks, history and cookies, the changes made in the sandbox are transferred to the non-sandboxed version of the browser. This is very annoying because it makes me think that the sandbox is not working properly also for other, more important, functions.
Regards.

Offline guillermo220

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Yes, that´s my case also.
Did you try downloading a file to see what happen? I think this is more important because that can prevent several threats to the system.
But everything can be a feature not a bug.
What is your threat hypothesis? (don't know if the wording is correct)

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
Hello Guillermo220,
thank you for your support. I tried to download a file, and the sandbox, in this case, seems to work fine. I am not a security expert, so I do not have a real hypothesis on what could go wrong if the sandbox does not work properly. Since the options that I selected were made to adapt the level of security to one's needs, it bothers me that they do not work as expected because I don't know what other functions could be bugged and allow a threat to escape the sandbox.
As explained before, though, the sandbox works fine until I launch Firefox in it. Then it stops working correctly and all other browsers are affected. Have you tried reinstalling Avast to confirm or deny this behavior?
Thank you again.

Offline guillermo220

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 04:17:48 AM »
Hi,
At one point, in security software, you can only have faith that the company behind it knows what it´s doing and that it´s doing it right.
The alternative is open software which is no guaranty at all (and needs the same amount of trust than a closed source software), or "do it yourself" and be responsible for your owns mistakes.
And no software is perfect and no security mesure is unbreachable.
Right now I can´t reboot the system to try first Chrome and then Firefox to see if that change the sandbox behavior. In a couple of days I will and I´ll tell you my experience.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:26 AM »
Thank you for your support.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:55:45 AM by ssstefanooo »

Offline guillermo220

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 01:16:23 AM »
Hi ssstefanooo,

I´m sorry to say that Chrome kept history and bookmarks before opening Firefox, using sandbox. Not tabs.
I don´t know if this information helps you or not.