Author Topic: Master Password problems on 2 computers  (Read 5069 times)

REDACTED

Master Password problems on 2 computers
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:16 AM »
I installed Avast a few days ago. On the weekend, I tried to set up the Password add on. Only one of the 3 computers I worked on works properly.

1) First computer is running Win 8.1. I must have had to created a Master Password but somehow forgot to write it down. My bad. I had no problems until I had to reboot the computer. After that, it asked me to input my master password which I discovered, to my horror, that I didn't write down and had no clue as to what it was. Now, of course, I can't access my passwords on that computer. I turned sync on for the 3 computers.

So, question. Is there any way to correct this problem?

2) Second computer runs Win 7. Everything seemed to install correctly and the add on was installed in Firefox.It worked fine until a reboot.  But now the password key shows up as grey and I'm told I have to install it even though Firefox (latest version) shows the add on as active. I even tried re-installing it anyway, but nothing changed.

Any solutions?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Master Password problems on 2 computers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:49 AM »
Sounds to me you should have read the FAQ first.
Without the master password, you can't even setup synchronization.

Use the link in the mail to recover the password.
Read the FAQ.
Take it from there.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:55 AM »
Sorry, friend, I'm human. I screwed up.

After I tried contacting Thomas Hellebrand when things went wrong but he hasn't had time to respond.
I did get an email that says: " Should you ever lose one of your devices, you'll need to find this email in order to access your account, and keep using Avast Passwords.

If anything should go wrong, or you ever have a problem connecting to your passwords, please click the button below, and we'll help you get things back to normal. " It had a RESTORE button.

I clicked on that and it had me log into my account again which I did. And then it asked me for my Master Password which, of course, I don't know. But then it asked for the code I first used to sync. I put in the code that the 2nd computer gave me.

I was then told that "You've successfully gained authorization to access your vault and authorize other devices."

Great. I have no idea what that means or how it is supposed to help me cure my password problems or if that letter even has anything to do with it. There are no further instructions so I am not any the wiser.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:40:20 AM »
Is this all the help that is forthcoming? I emailed Tomas Hellebrand before I ever posted to this forum and he has yet to respond.
And sorry, "Eddy", but your cryptic comments did little to enlighten me. What FAQ? What letter? It would be more helpful if you gave a more thorough answer.
We come to these forums because we have problems we can't solve. We appreciate the advice that more expert users are willing to give when it is easy to understand even by a newbie.
I still hope there is someone on this forum who is able to shed some light on why I'm having these problems with Passwords. Otherwise, my only solution will be to disable it on both computers and just simply not use it.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:24:48 AM »
Don't blame you, Ravenwolf, for that reply to "Eddy"; things happen and as you said, "I'm human", and humans make mistakes because we are not all perfect in the eyes of a higher power.  I'm in the same boat with you, but only using one computer laptop and I used to have my Master Password and even thought I wrote it down and kept it in a hand-held computer, called PDA device ===== it's an old style of a personal data device that can store pictures, memos (where I keep my passwords), written notepads (by using a special pen style to write with), addressess, phone #s, To Do lists, documents (can transfer from computer to PDA using MS Word), a Date book (calendar for all your dates, events, app'ts) and a calculator - it uses a "Hot Sync" set up with any laptop or desk computer --- anyway.....that's where I kept my password for my Avast Master password, but unfortunately when I typed it in, Avast didn't recognize it and therefore I am guessing I lost that master password.  The only option is to uninstall and reinstall the entire program to see if it can set up a new Master password.  Someone else asked the same question about losing the Master password, up further on the top thread and I also replied that I'm in the same boat, but here was a link to a FAQ, which states that if you lose your Master password there is no way to recover it or reset it, they don't store master passwords or passwords anywhere in the program or accessed by online account either. That's unfortunate, and I thing Avast needs to address this problem and make a fix for it. We pay top dollar for their programs, we should be able to find solutions to anything that comes about, including this problem.  So, I'm with you, Eddy should have stated his reply in a more helpful manner and just because he's some computer nerd techy guy doesn't mean that he's perfect either and should be more understanding to simple users like us.  I have a Bachelor degree in computer information systems and know how some systems operate, but its been years since that and I'm retired now, so the newer systems aren't familiar for me; however, I know some computer background.  ---- Anyway, here's the link on the FAQ for both of us, looks like we'll have to reinstall the entire Avast program.  https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB254#top_0   

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:42:33 AM »
The only option is to uninstall and reinstall the entire program to see if it can set up a new Master password.
Wrong.
As I said you can use the recovery mail that was send.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
Look, Eddy, I'm not as dumb as you think you are; I looked into my emails from Avast and there is NO Recovery email ever was sent to my inbox; scanned all in-boxes, including spam and junk files; no such "recovery" email, or mail was "sent", not "send".  Avast does not automatically send out recovery emails unless requested which I've never done yet.  But if that's what you believe, then you believe the wrong conclusion, therefore not so much an "expert" at this.  I'm going to go ahead and just uninstall the software and reinstall it again (I saved the initial install program so I'm safe with that), since I'm not getting any satisfaction from these forums and no one has a definitive answer to this issue, except for the Avast's FAQ's which specifically state that there is no way to recover a lost Master password due to the fact that they don't hold or store passwords into the program, and since the option of "forgot password"? was never made available, the real solution and only answer to this is to uninstall it and reinstall it, or just to forget about having a saved password program built into the Avast antivirus program and just continue with its protection software.  Simple, concluded, succinct, to the point, resolved, and answered!  Any other replies will be ignored, this concludes this whole issue.