Author Topic: Script to silently uninstall avast from >7000 systems  (Read 12091 times)

REDACTED

Script to silently uninstall avast from >7000 systems
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »
In a batch script that runs when computers start up, I am needing to check and make sure that if a program called DeepFreeze is present, Avast! gets uninstalled.

I can call both the installer and avastclear.exe, but they each require more user input. Is there any method or additional switches I can use to remove these Avast! installations silently?

Even using the /silent switch with avastclear.exe still presents the user with the following dialog box:

I am aware that I can uninstall through the console, but when I can only select 100 systems at a time, this becomes incredibly tedious.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Script to silently uninstall avast from >7000 systems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
If it was possible to remove avast silently, so could malware.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
Couldn't you just remove them all in the panel?
Once the client sees this they should start uninstalling automatically.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
Couldn't you just remove them all in the panel?
Once the client sees this they should start uninstalling automatically.

Yes, but there's no "SELECT ALL" option in the panel, so 7000 systems means that I have to select 100, Remove them, wait for the page to update, and then select the next 100. For 70 pages of systems.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »
If it was possible to remove avast silently, so could malware.

There was a silent uninstaller for the previous non-cloud version of Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:00 AM »
Yes, but there's no "SELECT ALL" option in the panel, so 7000 systems means that I have to select 100, Remove them, wait for the page to update, and then select the next 100. For 70 pages of systems.

I haven't tried, but could you select a group (eg DEFAULT group), and then click the column heading checkbox at the top of the list to select all devices in that group?  Then in the actions dropdown box remove and uninstall. 

I know its not what you asked for specifically, but might solve your problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »

I haven't tried, but could you select a group (eg DEFAULT group), and then click the column heading checkbox at the top of the list to select all devices in that group?  Then in the actions dropdown box remove and uninstall. 

I know its not what you asked for specifically, but might solve your problem.

Thanks for the reply GFM

Unfortunately when I select the entire group, the only options it gives me that I can apply to all selected devices is "Change Settings Template" or "Unselect All"

The Actions dropdown in the right pane is greyed out.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:39:16 AM »
Thats not quite what I mean. 

If you highlight the group you want, then the list of devices in that group populate in the device list pane.  If you don't have groups, then the Default group is all your devices anyway. 

Select all these devices listed by clicking the checkbox in the column heading (next to the word "status" in the headings at the top of the list).  That ticks all the checkboxes below it for the currently listed devices that match the given filter.  The top right-hand "actions" pulldown now becomes available and performs that action on all the selected devices.  So Be careful :)

Clicking the check-box next to only the group name performs actions on the group container, not on the devices within it.  Perhaps not that intuitive. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
Thats not quite what I mean. 

If you highlight the group you want, then the list of devices in that group populate in the device list pane.  If you don't have groups, then the Default group is all your devices anyway. 

Select all these devices listed by clicking the checkbox in the column heading (next to the word "status" in the headings at the top of the list).  That ticks all the checkboxes below it for the currently listed devices that match the given filter.  The top right-hand "actions" pulldown now becomes available and performs that action on all the selected devices.  So Be careful :)

Clicking the check-box next to only the group name performs actions on the group container, not on the devices within it.  Perhaps not that intuitive. :)

I gotcha, and appreciate the response.

This only selects the 100 devices that are displayed below, it does not select all devices. We have tested this before.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:14:29 AM »
Ahh I see, I'm only dealing with 15 PCs, so wasn't easy for me to test for myself  :-X

It seems there is no easy answer.  I would hesitate to run such a task on so many machines simultaneously anyway, even just to limit the number of helpdesk calls you get.  A batched deployment might take some pressure off support staff and leave a happier customer too (less risk to business operations if only a handfull of PCs suddenly stopped booting for example).

I think Avast support are going to be the only ones with any product advice, perhaps a feature request?  I'm sure they wouldn't be happy losing 7000 seats in licenses though ;)