Author Topic: Upgraded to Pro and having problems  (Read 1633 times)

REDACTED

Upgraded to Pro and having problems
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »
Hello.  Today I upgraded to the Pro Avast from the free Avast and ever since I'm having a problem.  1st:  When I power up my computer I'm met with a screen that asks me if I want to start in Windows 10 or start in Avast Clear Uninstall.  ???  2nd:  The activation code I was sent was accepted but it shows that I have Avast Free for a year and Avast Pro for only 29 days.  ???  I can't resolve either of these issues?  Any insight you guys might have?  Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Upgraded to Pro and having problems
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:45:29 AM »
Remove your device from your account.
Wait e.g. 3 hours (it can take a while before changes take affect)
Perform a clean installation of avast pro with the off-line installer.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:50:16 AM »
OK, will do.  should I use the clean uninstall program for the uninstall?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:37:55 PM »
Ok.  I'm still having the same problems and a new one as well.  Yesterday I purchased an Avast Pro upgrade of my previous Avast Free.  I was sent a license via email that didn't work so, per the FAQ, I uninstalled Avast using the Avast Clear utility.  I installed Avast Pro using the download utility included in the email.  Since this time, I have had the following problems: 1.  When starting or restarting my computer, I have to choose to continue in Windows 10 or to use the Clear uninstall utility.  2.  More problematic my Pro antivirus shows that it is expiring at the end of the month.  3.  NOW, the Avast account website shows that Antivirus and DNS protection is turned off, but this is not reflected within the Avast utility on my computer.  I have uninstalled Avast, removed my device from the Account screen on Avast, and re-installed Pro via the offline installer.  I would appreciate some advice.  Thanks! :)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »
anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  ;D

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:56:45 PM »
Okay update #1.  I solved the boot up issue.  I'm sure there's some corrupted files floating around in there somewhere however. But whatever.  So NOW the problem remains 1.  I haven't gotten what I paid for--namely a working Avast Pro with a license that shows I have it for the year I bought it.  2.  I do not have a Safe Zone icon on my computer desktop.  At this point, I've asked for a refund.  I don't see a recourse.  Apparently there is no solution to my license issue, so I don't think it fair I pay for a year's worth of Avast Pro but only get a month.  I would prefer the situation be fixed rather than remove Avast, but I also prefer to not get ripped off.  Any of you pros out there have any advice on the best way to correct this issue?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:33:52 AM »
Ofcourse you will see no icon on the desktop for the Safzone as avast doesn't place on there.

And you need to use the license file, not the activation code, so yes there is a solution to your problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
The plot thickens!  I think I'm a bit closer to getting what I paid for.  Fortunately, I'm a patient fellow.  As for the Avast Safe Browser Icon not being on my desktop, your comments got me thinking, Eddy...because it automatically showed up on my desktop before.  I am probably not calling it the right name (the icon looked like a ships wheel if that helps).
More importantly however, on my account page I actually SEE a 1 year pro license!  Woot!  That's good news.  BUT...Eddy, to your second point of advice--that's great but downloading that new license file  and trying to insert it meets with the same big red X and the error message "Cannot Insert License" as previous attempts have also resulted (with the original emailed license and/or code (yes, I tried both)). 
Whatever shall I do!!??  :) Should I repair the files (again)?  Should I remove Avast and reinstall (again)?  Here we go round the mulberry bush...the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush...
I really appreciate you taking the time to help (I'm being totally serious here.  And you've been IMMENSELY helpful in the past).  I've followed all the tips in the FAQ's, too.  But so far I'm no closer to actually having a valid 1 year pro license recognized by my Avast UI. :o

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
It sure is helping using the right name as the Safezone and the SafeZone browser are two different things.
As for the SafeZone Browser, it is gone.
See > https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB209

The license file should have worked.
It can be the subscription has been revoked as you have asked for a refund, but only someone from avast can tell as I can't see details like that of course.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the link to the breaking news on the Safezone Browser (yes, using the correct name is always best!).  That answers that question.  As for this being an issue with the refund request, I tend to think that's not it.  Mainly because it was doing this BEFORE I asked for the refund.  And it was this issue that made me decide to ask for the refund to begin with. 
BUT, to be clear, my refund request was conditional.  Refund ONLY if this couldn't be resolved. 
So, I think I may have a clearer picture of what is happening here.  Once again, I disconnected and uninstalled (using clear uninstall).  I then re-installed using the offline pro installer.  Same results when I tried to install the license file. 
However, I noticed one thing.  I DO have an activation code listed on the UI.  Two of them in fact.  One is for AVAST free for one year and the other is for AVAST pro (trial) for 28 days.  Is it possible that I have to wait for the trial activation to expire?  Only THEN will the UI accept the License file I paid for?  In the end (assuming that is the case), it makes no difference (I would still end up with a year's worth of Pro).  OR, is there some way to force the year long activation code/license file to override the trial activation code? 
Again...at this point everything is working correctly (seemingly) in terms of protection.  I just have this 1 year Pro activation code/license file available for use that I can't apply to the UI (at least at the moment).  Puzzled. :-\