Author Topic: New update (4.7.826)  (Read 92182 times)

CNPC

Re: New update (4.7.826)
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2006, 01:47:16 AM »
Hi  :)

Updated from 4.7.817 to 4.7.827 using Avasts  "Program Update" , didn't need to use the aswclear tool.

Avast is installed on its default location on a NTFS drive.
All is well so far

Thx

solstone

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2006, 02:11:04 AM »
Hi Vlk.  Sorry for the gap in communications, had a busy couple of days and no time to mess with this stuff.

Ok, the new version (4.7.827) is functioning fine on my machine (to recap, Win2k SP4), but the permissions are still not all correct.  Some files, such as ashAvast.exe are still showing Everyone - Full control.  This is definitely an improvement over having no permissions set at all (as the program won't run at all in that situation), but still not as secure as it should be (although I had never inspected the permissions set by previous versions until the problems arose with 4.7. After reverting to 4.6 a couple days ago and going to check, it was installing as Everyone-Full Control as well.)

And an fyi, I don't think that I meet any of the 3 criteria you mentioned.  Not running NT4, I install to the default directory (and with the 'typical' setup), and I am pretty sure that I formatted this drive to NTFS before installing Win2k on it.

I also don't have the other thing you mention.  My Program Files folder is set to Administrators and SYSTEM with Full Control, as is the Alwil folder (with vers 4.7.827), and the avast4 folder under that.  The only place that permission settings seem to be the least bit wacky is inside the avast4 folder.

Last night I hed tried installing 4.7.826, which wouldn't run at all (again), so I uninstalled it and installed the latest version of AVG, just to see what would happen.  AVG installed fine, with a rather detailed set of permissions on all of its components.  I ran a full test just to reassure myself (with different software) that I did not have something nasty interfering with stuff.  Came up clean (as I do with the current install of Avast). 

Most curious, but I am glad that Avast is at least running again now. 

r0b3rt

Re: New update (4.7.826) BLUE screen on 5365
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2006, 05:09:13 AM »
I realize the Vista may not be fully supported by avast, and Vista is beta software, but I thought I would let you know that on a fresh install of 5365, then installed avast, it blue screens about 30-45 seconds after it came back from the first boot time scan.  the boot time scan had many errors about unabkle to open files, but no viruses found.  uninstall avast and blue screen doesnt appear to occur anymore.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2006, 07:07:48 AM »
r0b3rt, are you sure you're using avast 826 (or 827)? When did you download the install package?
Is this a fresh install, or an updated one?

During the last week, we've been testing avast 826/827 *extensively* on Vista build 5366, and it worked extremely well. However, the symptomps you're describing were present in the previous version of avast (4.7.817).

Maybe it would be helpful to start another thread (without hijacking this one) if you still have the problem.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »
Vlk,

I am certain that the access control list issue has wider ramifications than just for the avast folders.

I am setting up a new Dell machine that arrived a few days ago.  I have been copying files from my old machine by placing them in the "Shared Documents" folder of my old machine and accessing them from the new machine via my home lan.

To the best of my recollection when I first installed avast on this machine a couple of days ago we were on release 822.  Yesterday I updated to 826, today I updated to 827.   On this machine avast is installed in the default C:\Program Files directory. 

This evening I discovered another file I needed from my old system.  I copied it to the "Shared Documents" folder of my old machine and then tried to copy it to the Desktop on the new machine (as I have done many times in the past few days without problems). To my surprise I got the "Access denied" popup window. 

Given the discussions here my suspicions were aroused.

I checked the ACL of the "Shared Documents" folder of the old machine (as seen from the new machine).  It contained just one entry "Everyone".

On the old machine I added another group to the ACL for the "Shared Documents" folder and then I could copy from it to the Desktop on the new machine. 

I restored the "Shared Documents" to the single entry ACL of "Everyone" - the "Access denied" error returned.

I uninstalled avast (827) - no problems with the uninstall but the "Access denied" problem continued in trying to copy files as above.

I ran the new aswclear.exe and restarted the system.  Following that copying of documents from the single entry ACL (Everyone) "Shared Documents" worked without problem.

I then downloaded the latest avast install file and installed 827 again.  Pleased to report that the copying of files from the single entry ACL (Everyone) "Shared Documents" worked without problem.

However, this would seem to imply that folks who have installed 826 would need to uninstall, run the new aswclear and reinstall to ensure that this problem is not lurking in their system.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 07:29:41 AM by alanrf »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2006, 07:28:21 AM »
Shared Documents? Where's this folder, exactly?

That sounds really wild - I mean, avast should definitely not touch any of the files/folder that don't belong to it (or touch their access rights).

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2006, 07:30:58 AM »
Standard Shared Documents folder on every WinXP machine

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2006, 07:38:16 AM »
I am just guessing - but I suspect that whatever you did probably affected anything with a single ACL of "Everyone".

I would be happy (for a while) to take my system back to a point with the problem existing if there are any further diagnostics you would like to get.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2006, 08:05:32 AM »
The 826 can still be downloaded (for a limited time) from http://www.iavs.cz/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe .

But, as I said, I find it highly improbably that the setup program would manipulate, in any way, any folder outside the avast install folder. Not to mention aswClear.exe (which, if I understand it correctly, supposedly solved the problem afterwards, i.e. modified the rights of the folder).

Thanks
Vlk

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2006, 08:09:42 AM »
I am currently taking my system back to the point in time where the problem existed I do not need to reload 826.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:13:57 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2006, 08:38:19 AM »
I must have imagined the whole thing.

I have taken my new system back to a point where the problem existed.  It no longer does.

I did not suggest that access to the folder had been changed - indeed it could not because the folder being read resides on another machine.  It occurs to me that I was concentrating on the new machine.  The old machine has been through the same series of updates to avast too (and in that machine avast is not installed on the C: drive). 

One other potentially complicating factor is that between the time of the problem and now all of the drives on the old machine (where I was reading from) have gone through a scheduled defragmentation that would have stirred the environment too.

Sorry to have wasted your time.   

greenhatch

« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »
I reinstalled v.4.7.817 okay today and am happy with Avast again; of course I will get the nag to update the program, but I'll be waiting until the next one after .826/.827. I have to say though that I was impressed with the way the problems were tackled in this forum and by the Avast reps, but I myself was too quick to instal the new update, as I do not know enough, if a teething problem should occur (like it did).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:53:30 AM by greenhatch »

donki

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2006, 10:22:24 AM »
After you uninstall 826, you should find 827 okay to run. At least it works normally on my machine.

826 should of been a beta version.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
Vlk,

I'm generally not one to post "me too" responses, but I have to truly complement you for jumping in and grabbing this update issue by the b***s.

Well done.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
New update working here too.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog