Author Topic: CCleaner and installing avast with out permission...  (Read 100160 times)

REDACTED

Re: CCleaner and installing avast with out permission...
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »
Yeah I understand that and respect that but use a readable verification program.. I had to refresh about 20 times to get something readable.

REDACTED

« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2018, 06:32:49 AM »
Posting here since this is the first relevant thread on google.

Just a heads up, avast is still being silently installed (no checkbox) with CCleaner. Pretty unethical practice from all parties here. Sad.

REDACTED

« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
Jup although they keep claiming it isn't true... That we just didn't see it. I think the problem is the screen loads to slow so you press next without seeing the avast screen ...

CCleaner and avast are both bullshit in my eyes now

REDACTED

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2018, 03:45:31 PM »
I came here just to protest about Avast being installed surreptitiously with CCleaner which I've been using and updating for years.  Quite surprised when Windows told me my antivirus was being interfered with.

So yeah, one year on and it's still happening  >:(

REDACTED

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
Just to add my penny worth.  I have just removed 'Avast free' for the nth time and I had updated CCCleaner the day before.  I have never before noticed any warning that Avast was bundled with the program.  I will continue to use CCleaner but not update to the new versions.  I have a notion that programs that need updating every few weeks are just seeking another opportunity to download yet another unwanted bundled program and collect the fee.  I find it hard to believe that a simple cleaning program needs such frequent updating.  I have a simple CD burning program that offers an update every few weeks - you would think it must be the most intensively developed software for this application in the history of the universe. Or perhaps it's an opportunity to download another PUP.

I agree with an early comment that this is irresponsible because it compromises computer security - many AV programs interfere with each other.  Both CCCleaner and Avast are to blame and should suffer the damage to their reputation they richly deserve.

Online mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2018, 11:00:10 PM »
Just to add my penny worth.  I have just removed 'Avast free' for the nth time and I had updated CCCleaner the day before.  I have never before noticed any warning that Avast was bundled with the program.  I will continue to use CCleaner but not update to the new versions.  I have a notion that programs that need updating every few weeks are just seeking another opportunity to download yet another unwanted bundled program and collect the fee.  I find it hard to believe that a simple cleaning program needs such frequent updating.  I have a simple CD burning program that offers an update every few weeks - you would think it must be the most intensively developed software for this application in the history of the universe. Or perhaps it's an opportunity to download another PUP.

I agree with an early comment that this is irresponsible because it compromises computer security - many AV programs interfere with each other.  Both CCCleaner and Avast are to blame and should suffer the damage to their reputation they richly deserve.
Yep, true but it is possible to block auto-install.  Problem really originates from default opt-out checkboxes.  All such boxes should be opt-in only as you say.

You should  try this application:  https://unchecky.com/ 

I've not had issues like the ones you and others are describing since install.   :(
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Happychappy

« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2018, 01:25:33 AM »
Chrome was installed for me with no option to uncheck.

I also have unchecky running !

very sneaky tactics

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2018, 01:33:14 AM »
Chrome was installed for me with no option to uncheck.

I also have unchecky running !

very sneaky tactics

This topic is completely different there are however topics going back a very long time about people ending up with Chrome installer.

I have never had Chrome installed on this or any of my other systems.

Always do a Custom install and ensure you uncheck any options that you don't need/want and always read what is on the various screens that are presented.

Just one point, are you talking about Google Chrome, rather than the Avast Secure Browser which is based on Chrome ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Happychappy

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2018, 01:51:26 AM »
Always do a custom install.

It was Google chrome.

also did it about 8 updates ago.   >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2018, 02:16:05 AM »
Always do a custom install.

It was Google chrome.

also did it about 8 updates ago.   >:(

There are screens outside of the installation before you select a Custom install that could have been checked by default. Either that or there can/had been another screen after the installation and boot that had chrome pre checked.

Eight updates ago is a relatively long time ago in terms of a program update, but we need to be alert and not click to move on.

I'm totally against pre-checking requiring the user to Opt Out and not pre checked to Opt In. So we really have to slow down and read what is presented and that applies to other program installations also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline islandduo

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2019, 05:59:54 AM »
This auto background install of Avast is just ridiculous. over the past year ish I have gotten uncommanded installs of Avast three times, this forum says there is a box to uncheck to avoid that, HOWEVER I have attempted to update CC Cleaner four times now and regardless of watching intently for that box FOUR times I have yet to find it. You have me so paranoid now I flat refuse to click on the install button for fear of getting that damned Avast again.
I love CC Cleaner but I will discourage everyone I know from now on not to go there as these people are NOT honest folks.

Online mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2019, 07:31:35 AM »
@ islandduo,

You can put this free PUP blocker on your system and your problems with unwanted installs are pretty much over, and not just only avast, but others too:  https://unchecky.com/
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
I personally recommend the following, https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
From there choose CCleaner - Portable Since it's a standalone version, it doesn't contain any add ons.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline islandduo

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
I feel I should not have to block anything, besides I have never seen the block to uncheck.

Offline yourproductsucks

« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
I created this account to complain.

avast installed itself sneakily by hiding in the updater to Partition Wizard by Minitool. The updater was launched through the software, so it attached itself to a legit program.

Why can't I stop the service. why can't I end the 700 avast programs it runs and launches on startup?

This is deliberately attempting to stop me removing it.

Wonderful software you guys have! I have to do a system restore to get this contamination off my hdd.