Author Topic: CCleaner and installing avast with out permission...  (Read 99461 times)

REDACTED

Re: CCleaner and installing avast with out permission...
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Hello,
I registered today to inform you that after installing CCleaner, I've found Avast installed in my computer without having given any consent.

I was a buyer of Avast and I was reconsidering purchasing it once again, but after having found that you are now into the territory of shady practices, I will now stay away from your product and I will suggest my customers to avoid installing your antivirus.

Regards

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
During the install process you need to untick the Avast install option, depending on what is installed already on the system there is generally two optional softwares offered - either Avast or Chrome.

REDACTED

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
Hello,
thanks for your reply, but I regret to inform you there was no such option.

Not only that, but to be sure I didn't overlook it, I actually went through the installers two more times just to be 100% sure.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
Hello,

Not only that, but to be sure I didn't overlook it, I actually went through the installers two more times just to be 100% sure.
I just downloaded a fresh copy from Piriform to test, the pic below is what I see as the first screen that opens after running the exe file, clearly displayed is a preticked Avast install option.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Hello,

I just downloaded a fresh copy from Piriform to test, the pic below is what I see as the first screen that opens after running the exe file, clearly displayed is a preticked Avast install option.

Whilst it may well be there, there really is no way that option should be pre-checked by default, not for what is such a major program, not some little function.  When you consider the size of CCleaner (approx 16MB), Vs avast at aprox 256MB for the off-line installation. 

Now I know that they aren't downloading the off-line installation file, but it is even worse when compared against the installed size of avast. 

Even more, something as critical as an AV being installed, shouldn't be an opt-in option.  You are effectively installing Avast when there would be another AV present, even if this was windows defender.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
David, I completely agree (was just pointing out that the option is there) that Avast shouldn't be prechecked or even included to be honest, same with the Chrome option that occasionally gets offered as well.

These included and prechecked programs are why I no longer recommened Avast or CCleaner for friends and family, there has just been too many instances of unwanted additions being installed via missed check boxes or deceptive advertising that I end up having to rectify.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:40:25 PM by CraigB »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
I know you were pointing that out, it is just infuriating that this practice is still going on, given that we had some input from an Avast team member previously about this very thing. 

I got the impression that it may well be offered, but would have to be opt-in, given installing a security application is no light matter.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:59 PM »
After avast was registered on the stock exchange it is all about revenue and they now use evry legal trick in the book, annoying or not
They have the world's largest user base but most of it is the free version so shareholders want a larger pice of the cake that the big ones have, Symantec / McAfee / Trend Micro ....   it is all about $  now

REDACTED

« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »
I only logged in today for the first time because of the shameful behaviour of CCleaner installer. I downloaded today the newest version of CCleaner because I had a very old one, and silently was installed Avast antivirus as well. I'm always careful installing free programs casue I know that frequently there is a bundle with other programs such as browsers or antivirus or other security programs and so on. But no window or checkbox appeared during installation warning me of the possibility to install Avast antivirus. My system is protected by another security solution and I don't want a second antivirus program on my computer nor a sneaky one, moreover. I'm really pissed off and I will not recommend CCleaner or Avast to anyone.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
To add further insult the latest update 5.44.6575 version release will display popup ad's just about every time you open the UI >:(

REDACTED

« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
This just happened to me.  It's incredibly maddening, esp after the data breach a while back, WTF is going on at CCCleaner???

REDACTED

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00:44 AM »
Feeling nostalgic - decided to install CCleaner. Extremely pissed off and disappointed at avast malware being bundled and silently installed. This is so shitty and insulting that I won't buy your products again.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »
Feeling nostalgic - decided to install CCleaner. Extremely pissed off and disappointed at avast malware being bundled and silently installed. This is so shitty and insulting that I won't buy your products again.
This has been reported to Avast via a lot of channels and the next version should address all of these concerns.
We'll see once it's released. (No date for that release has been given.)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:29 AM »
Really wtf.. Just created an account for this... I have also been scammed. I as many others here was careful and read the boxes.. So either way it wasn't there or was very well hidden... How the fuck is such a thing even legal..

How sad that such big companies who were respected in the past like avast and CCleaner fell so low...

PS. I'm trying to post this and I need to verificate but the fucking image is an unreadable mess... I keep refreshing but nothing better wtf..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2018, 07:58:29 AM »
PS. I'm trying to post this and I need to verificate...
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0