Author Topic: Serious problem with script blocking  (Read 15355 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Serious problem with script blocking
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 04:56:20 PM »
Regarding Freecell, see here.

piciuriello

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »
The values as OK - exactly how they should be.
I'm afraid the problem has really nothing to do with avast! - and I have no idea what might cause this...  :-\

Can I have some documentation of what Avast scipt blocking do when first installed and run? Maybe in a private mail I will never tell anyone?

Breach

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 04:49:33 AM »
Did u have a previous anti virus running before you installed Avast and if u did what steps did u take to remove it?

piciuriello

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 09:45:25 AM »
Did u have a previous anti virus running before you installed Avast and if u did what steps did u take to remove it?

I had Norton Antivirus 2003.
I used it for 3 years without any problem.
I completely uninstalled it, then installed Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 03:43:44 PM »
Norton is notoriously difficult to remove.

Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier - Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Check these out and run the removal tools as required and reboot. It may well be best to uninstall avast, reboot, install avast and reboot to ensure a clean install. Although this might not be directly connected to your problem it may be best to ensure it isn't a factor.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

piciuriello

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »
Norton is notoriously difficult to remove.

Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier - Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Check these out and run the removal tools as required and reboot. It may well be best to uninstall avast, reboot, install avast and reboot to ensure a clean install. Although this might not be directly connected to your problem it may be best to ensure it isn't a factor.

Completely removed NAV with the tool suggested.
I continue having problem with scripting as supposed.
Do exists a tool to completely remove Avast?

Please, someone can tell me how script blocking of Avast works?
Even in private mail (d.cicognani [AT] ciconet.it).

buttoni

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »
Food for thought.  I don't know if this has any bearing, but I was told once these script errors can be caused by web pages that are running a different version of Java than the user.  I uninstalled the old version of Java and then downloaded the latest version.  Then I went to Internet Options, Programs, Manage Add-Ons, selected the java items and clicked the Update ActiveX button.  They may be old/corrupted.  Now I don't get nearly as many of these script errors as I used to, and when I do, I just click the No button.  Maybe the OP just needs to update Java and the activeX for it?  Worth a try.

Edit:  Sorry the duplicate post occurred while I was editing the first.

piciuriello

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »
It's not my case, but I tried to update Java.
It doesn't work.

I'll say another time: THE PROBLEM IS AVAST!
The script blocking provider has a bug that completely block any kind of script (JavaScript, vbScript, ActiveX, Java) in Internet Explorer and in any other Windows program that uses IE controls (like many parts of the control panel, Microsoft Outlook and so on). This provider also block Firefox, but stoping the provider means Firefox start working againt. IE, instead, still doesn't work.
Before installing Avast! the problem there isn't, after installing Avast! the problem started and there was no way to stop this bug.
Even uninstalling Avast! the problem is still there.
I want to know WHAT SCRIPT BLOCKING DOES when first installed, because I have this problem since one week and I have to solve this problem.

I'm a web developer and search engine expert: I can't work without IE properly working!
Sorry but if noone can help me I must format my PC: if this happens, it means that I will make a very bad advertise of Avast! on every forum and newsgroup.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 05:04:01 PM »
piciuriello, avast! has nothing to do with Java - it's another proof that the problem is somewhere else.

On installation, avast! registers itself for common JavaScript and VBScript classes (and of course, stores the original value - for passing the requests to the real engines, and also to restore the original values during deinstallation). I think these engines are only used by IE and related components - i.e. I doubt it could affect Firefox in any way.
The relevant keys (changed) are under HKCR\CLSID
{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}
{B54F3743-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}
{F414C260-6AC0-11CF-B6D1-00AA00BBBB58}
{F414C262-6AC0-11CF-B6D1-00AA00BBBB58}

There are also some memory-hooking techniques employed, but I repeat:
If the mentioned registry keys point (with their InprocServer32 subkey) to the respective engines (vbscript.dll, jscript.dll), and avast! is uninstalled (i.e. not running), it cannot affect your scripting in any way.

piciuriello

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »
On installation, avast! registers itself for common JavaScript and VBScript classes (and of course, stores the original value - for passing the requests to the real engines, and also to restore the original values during deinstallation). I think these engines are only used by IE and related components - i.e. I doubt it could affect Firefox in any way.
The relevant keys (changed) are under HKCR\CLSID
{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}
{B54F3743-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}

There are also some memory-hooking techniques employed, but I repeat:
If the mentioned registry keys point (with their InprocServer32 subkey) to the respective engines (vbscript.dll, jscript.dll), and avast! is uninstalled (i.e. not running), it cannot affect your scripting in any way.

Very good!
You finally told me what Avast! does on install and I fixed the problem.
The registry keys:
were completely absent, but there was only a key:
{F414C261-6AC0-11CF-B6D1-00AA00BBBB58}
as I told in a previous post.
I reconstructed these keys from a backup I, luckly, had, and now all is working again.
Maybe I was only unlucky, but I strongly suggest a registry backup just before installing Avast! to everyone.
Bye bye and thank's.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:40:17 PM by piciuriello »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 05:58:37 PM »
avast! certainly doesn't delete these keys, it manipulates only with the underlying values - so the keys were not present on your computer before installation (in which case, avast! wouldn't change anything there), or got deleted afterwards.
Reconstruction is probably not necessary, registering jscript.dll or vbscript.dll using regsvr32 should create all the necessary keys.

How exactly did you uninstall avast!, btw?

piciuriello

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »
avast! certainly doesn't delete these keys, it manipulates only with the underlying values - so the keys were not present on your computer before installation (in which case, avast! wouldn't change anything there), or got deleted afterwards.
Reconstruction is probably not necessary, registering jscript.dll or vbscript.dll using regsvr32 should create all the necessary keys.

How exactly did you uninstall avast!, btw?

I don't know why, but before installing Avast! IE worked, then it doesn't work.
So the only explaination is that Avast! was the problem.
However, I uninstalled Avast! using the uninstall tool that was installed with Avast!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 08:13:48 PM »
I checked the source code - there are only very few references to this registry key name, and none of them deletes any key. So, I can say for sure that avast! didn't remove those keys.

madmac

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
Sorry to interfere again, but i have teh same problem that had piciurello, i will try to recreate the registry keys mentioned by him

Madmac