Author Topic: VRDB Generation + Silent Updates  (Read 5575 times)

Steele

VRDB Generation + Silent Updates
« on: December 24, 2003, 02:09:42 AM »
Hey, names Steele  ;)

I was curious to know just how I should set up AVAST 4 Home in the correct manner?

I'll first be installing Windows XP Pro SP1a, then AVAST 4 Home. Now when I let my XP Pro machine sit idle for the first time.... it does this built in IDLE-defrag or re-arrangement of files to start up my programs faster. Cool! :) But then I notice that the VRDB is going to happen at IDLE time too. I don't want them to crash or collide nor even be set to run at the same time. (ONLY for the initial first time run setting. After default values shall be used!) If I manualy FORCE the VRBD generayion to "GENERATE NOW!", and keep the setting for NEXT time to the IDLE/Screen Saver position.....when will the VRBD database be re-created or altered..... in a few days or...is it more? It doesn't happen everytime the PC goes into IDLE or screen saver mode does it?

Also, (thanks for bering with me!)  ;)

I would like to preform SILENT auto updates in XP without any user input or info. (this is a great feature!) I am correct in assuming this is how it will work:

It scans for updates, ICON spins in system tray, installs any new virus database updates, and you continue working on your PC right? I don't really like the default setup with the prompts and speech.

How often does the PROGRAM FILE need updating..... does XP need to be restarted a lot? Or is it best to set the program to just install VRD (virus database) updates only?

Thanks so much for any info you may post here in advance. I'm a VERY new user of this software.

Past virus programs I have used:

Norton Anti-Virus
McAfee Anti-Virus
H+BEDV AntiVir

AVAST looks promising. As long as it STAYS FREE and never expires after 30 days or something. I'll made sure to get my unlimited key.  ;D

Sincerely,

Steele Wolf

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:VRDB Generation + Silent Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 02:26:48 AM »
The VRDB runs each 21 days by default. You can change this period at avast4.ini file, section [VRDB], value RunInterval (time in minutes, i.e., default = 21 days = 60*24*21). More information about the avast4.ini file you can see here.

The VRDB won't crash with defragmentation but it's better to run just one of them at a time.

The program could be updated once a month (you need to reboot). The VPS file is updated on Tuesdays and Thurdays (or, with emergencies, at any time). You can set both for Automatic and I recommend you set the 'Ask for reboot option'. You can set more things of the update in the button 'Details'.

Wait, Culpeper, each 20 seconds avast! seeks for a connection, if exists, try to update. After 4 hours avast! try again to find a connection each 20 seconds and so on...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 02:32:06 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 02:29:26 AM »
You forgot to mention the auto update is at bootup and every 4 hours :P

techie101

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 04:25:14 AM »
Wait, Culpeper, each 20 seconds avast! seeks for a connection, if exists, try to update. After 4 hours avast! try again to find a connection each 20 seconds and so on...

No he didn't!  ;D

techie
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 04:26:21 AM by techie101 »

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 06:21:11 AM »
I've been foiled again! :o

Steele

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 08:03:26 AM »
Okay wait just a sec.... :) Remember I'm a newbie so.... sorry if I'm sounding ignorant! I don't mean to.  :P

What do you mean AVAST searches for an internet connection every 20 seconds? I am on High Speed DSL..... so is that an option I need to change? Beacause...AVAST has always been able to find the connection anyways so..... I don't know what difference it would make?

Also.... after it finds the update....and if there is one or not..... is it going to keep pinging the servers every 20 seconds!?? EVEN after there is none? And even after the fact it's already reported a sucessful connection??

I'm just asking because I'm using the DEMO (no key installed yet) version of AVAST 4 Home on WIN98SE on a Wired Home Based Network with a Hardware Based Firewall/Router. I have 2 computers I will be using AVAST with soon on this network. Will I be seeing pings to the avast servers every 20 seconds by both machines?

Again I am sorry.  ??? I tried my best to read and understand the help files. They are very thourough and detailed..... some stuff however is not listed under special circumstances.

Also. I already registered and downloaded a KEY for unlimited use of AVAST 4 home for my XP Pro machine. Can I use this same key for my Win98SE machine? Or would it idealy be better to re-register again and get another..... is this possible under the same e-mail address.

I just don't want to run into ANY legal issues (1 key for 2 machine deal)

Thanks so much for your patience and fast responces!!!

I can't believe how far AVAST has come in so little time! It's WAAAAAY better than H+BEDV AntiVir!!

So glad someone at H+BEDV (forum member) pointed me in this direction for better Virus protection.

Steele Wolfie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 12:11:52 PM »
What do you mean AVAST searches for an internet connection every 20 seconds? I am on High Speed DSL..... so is that an option I need to change? Beacause...AVAST has always been able to find the connection anyways so..... I don't know what difference it would make?

Search for a connection is a behavior of dial-up connections. Set your DSL connection at Updates (Advanced) page of the settings.

Also.... after it finds the update....and if there is one or not..... is it going to keep pinging the servers every 20 seconds!?? EVEN after there is none? And even after the fact it's already reported a sucessful connection??

The updater must ping for a server in order to receive the information and update your system. After a 'successful' search it will wait 4 fours to another.

I'm just asking because I'm using the DEMO (no key installed yet) version of AVAST 4 Home on WIN98SE on a Wired Home Based Network with a Hardware Based Firewall/Router. I have 2 computers I will be using AVAST with soon on this network. Will I be seeing pings to the avast servers every 20 seconds by both machines? Again I am sorry.  ??? I tried my best to read and understand the help files. They are very thourough and detailed..... some stuff however is not listed under special circumstances.

We are just avast! users and I tried to do my best posting these information here. If it is wrong, please avast team, come to help us. I think avast will have the behavior described previously.

Also. I already registered and downloaded a KEY for unlimited use of AVAST 4 home for my XP Pro machine. Can I use this same key for my Win98SE machine? Or would it idealy be better to re-register again and get another..... is this possible under the same e-mail address. I just don't want to run into ANY legal issues (1 key for 2 machine deal). Thanks so much for your patience and fast responces!!!

No, you won't need to use another key. avast! is free for both simultaneously Home and non-commercial use, no mather if you have more than one computer at home. Non-profit organisations are not included into home users.

I can't believe how far AVAST has come in so little time! It's WAAAAAY better than H+BEDV AntiVir!! So glad someone at H+BEDV (forum member) pointed me in this direction for better Virus protection. Steele Wolfie

He, he you find you  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 04:50:26 PM »
I can't believe how far AVAST has come in so little time! It's WAAAAAY better than H+BEDV AntiVir!!

Thanks for your words, but why "in so little time" ?? We develop the avast! antivirus since 1988  ;D ;D

Pavel

Steele

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 03:11:57 AM »
It was only meant as a compliment....plus I thought at one point ( a year or so ago) I tried this product only to find it dissapointing. But....*snickers*....that turned out to be the anti virus program created by: www.grisoft.com. I do not like the interface on that program.... what's up with the "local native jungle theme??!" :D

Sorry.... that comment was more or less pointed towards them...thinking they were you.  :P

I don't believe I've EVER come accross such a great "FREE" anti virus program!

Got you two companies confused.... a deadly mistake. ;) Okay...just try to take this big malamute down....try it!  ;D ;) 8) *snickers*

Thanks 4 ur help! :) All questions answered!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 03:13:24 AM by Steele »