Author Topic: Access to Netflix?  (Read 16349 times)

REDACTED

Access to Netflix?
« on: April 19, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »
I recently was able to use Secureline VPN to access the UK Netflix catalog, but am now no longer able to do so. I get the "unblocker/proxy" message. I've tried changing locations.

I do realize fully that Netflix is cracking down on VPNs left and right and that they have multiple tools to use in this.  Deleting cookies and clearing browser caches did nothing for access.

I have tried installing a WebRTC limiter extension as well. 

Is this something I should periodically check back on?

Thanks for any advice or help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Access to Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:11 PM »
As it is Netflix that is doing the blocking, there is nothing that avast can do about it.

The European committee is working on a rule that content of a broadcast should be available in the entire European Union and not just bound to 1 (or several) European countries.
As the exact rule is not known yet, I don't know how it will work out but in theory you should be able to watch Netflix UK if you live in e.g. Germany and vica versa.
What also is not know yet is how this rule will work now there is the Brexit.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
As well as Josh I was able to watch Netflix.nl (Netherlands) in Germany.
Since I live both in NL and Germany I bought Avast Secureline since it was working "around" the Netflix block. I was able to watch Netflix.nl (the Dutch series) in Germany without problems.
I think after the windows update: (KB4015217) or (KB4013418) I wasn't able to watch anymore / it now blocks netflix due the VPN.

Is Avast with an update coming? Any way I can work my way around this since I was watching loads of Dutch (not German) series.
Help will be greatly appriciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
Call/write Netflix and tell them to pay for the rights to broadcast those series in other countries.

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:09 PM »
As it is Netflix that is doing the blocking, there is nothing that avast can do about it.

Not true, Avast can change their IP address range that isn't blocked.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:52 PM »
And they will be blocked also.
Likely very rapidly because it is real easy to detect that many people connect from the same IP at the same time.

If it is not the port scan bug (which the latest micro update has large fixed) and you can visit other sites in the UK if you use the UK server, the VPN is working.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 02:18:17 AM »
the last 3 years i was able to watch Netflix Netherlands in Brasil using AVAST Securline VPN
and Today it done. If Avast donĀ“t find a Solution then I have to look for another working VPN and stopping with my subscription

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
Please read before posting.

It is Netflix who is doing the blocking.
If you have a problem with that you need to contact them.

Offline Ricardo in Vienna

P2P VPN connections
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:06:34 AM »
The servers marked P2P are doing the job nicely for me. Now I have to go and binge-watch season 5 of "House of Cards" :-)
Cheers
Rick

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
it would appear that Netflix has blocked the P2P servers as well.  I cannot play Netflix while using SecureLine at all anymore.  :( I could in the past though using the P2P servers as Ricardo in Vienna suggested.

Offline Ricardo in Vienna

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:09:05 AM »
Still working for me on all U.S. P2P servers, though often during the first few minutes after having activated VPN, Netflix will still cut you off with their standard "proxy detected" msg, waiting 4 or 5 minutes though does the trick, at least for me. Once in a while I switch VPN servers and reconnect which also does the trick although TBH that might be no more than occupational therapy :-).

Cheers, Rick