Author Topic: Add more Search Engines / Search Providers to Safezone?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline jrpublic

Add more Search Engines / Search Providers to Safezone?
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:35:15 AM »
Just started using Safezone with the new Sep 2017 version -- it is really quite nice for a browser so young and with such an ambitious mission statement. However... I have searched this forum several ways and cannot find any posts regarding how to add additional search engines (search providers) to the drop down list in Safezone where we can set the default search engine we want to use. The three that are now available -- Google, Yahoo and Bing -- are all fine... but that's a very limited selection. I have been using www.duckduckgo.com for years now and since they do not track, store or sell user search data they have become my "go there first" search engine. So, is there any provision in Safezone at this point to allow users to add more search engines to the "set default" drop down menu? If not with this version, are there any plans to add this option? If no to all of the above, how would one submit a request to the Safezone development team requesting that they at least add www.duckduckgo.com to the list of available "search providers" to choose from?

I am not connected with www.duckduckgo.com in any way. Thanks!

-- J.R.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:15:50 AM by jrpublic »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Add more Search Engines / Search Providers to Safezone?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »
Useless to ask as the SafeZone Browser is gone.
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB209

Offline jrpublic

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:15:00 AM »
Nope. The "new" version of SafeZone (ver. 4.58.2552.909 ) is alive and kicking -- I just downloaded and installed it today, September 17, 2017 and it works great. There was some confusion because Avast pulled the old version off their site a few days before the new version was made available, leading some people to conclude the browser was discontinued completely. But it was just the old version that was discontinued. The new version has been available for few days. See: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=207611.0

So my original question still stands and I hope someone can provide some information or insight:

In the new version of SafeZone (ver. 4.58.2552.909 ) I cannot find any posts regarding how to add additional search engines (search providers) to the drop down list in SafeZone where we can set the default search engine we want to use. The three that are now available -- Google, Yahoo and Bing -- are all fine... but that's a very limited selection. I have been using www.duckduckgo.com for years now and since they do not track, store or sell user search data they have become my "go there first" search engine. So, is there any provision in Safezone at this point to allow users to add more search engines to the "set default" drop down menu? If not with this version, are there any plans to add this option? If no to all of the above, how would one submit a request to the Safezone development team requesting that they at least add www.duckduckgo.com to the list of available "search providers" to choose from?

I am not connected with www.duckduckgo.com in any way. Thanks!

-- J.R.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
You are wrong.
That is not the new browser at all.
Look at the date of the post.

The new browser is scheduled for release in October.

Offline ondrejz

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:54:57 AM »
Hi,

the version .909 was just normal browser update.. This is not a new browser.

It is not possible to change search engines - security reasons.
The SafeZone browser team

Offline carltillotson

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »

I can understand the need to lock down the configuration of the browser, to ensure it is still safe.

However, I trust you are not saying that DuckDuckGo is a security risk?  Just want to be clear  8)

I would also like the option to select a search engine provider who does not track everything I do.  Ironic that the only 3 we can select are the one's that track you the most.  :-X

Offline jrpublic

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
I'm afraid saying that allowing the use of duckduckgo as the default browser is "not secure" doesn't make sense to me either. Since I can still go to the duckduckgo.com search page from within the SafeZone browser, are you saying I am endangering myself?  If so, some details would be helpful, because now you've got me worried about it.

Perhaps you meant that allowing individual users to add their own things to the drop-down choice list would not be secure? I could see that being a security vulnerability. But then, please, why not have one of the Avast techs add duckduckgo.com to the choice list for us -- and www.wikipedia.com as well since it is a great search tool--  and issue an update? Not being able to set the world's "most privacy protecting search engine" as the default provider in the "world's most secure browser" does not compute.

As for SafeZone being "gone"... hmmm... since I'm not an "avast evangelist" I can only observe that from my own personal experience that SafeZone is not "gone"  -- since I was able to install the current version of SafeZone from within my Avast Free AV installation just 3 days ago and am using it to access this forum right now. As stated by one of the forum moderators it is the "New Version: 4.58.2552.909" and is the current version of SafeZone, right?  In my OP I specified I was using the "new version" as of September -- not that I was was using "the new browser" (whatever that may be). I just got here, folks...I don't know what's happening in October -- is there any reason to believe that what may be released in October will not still be called "SafeZone"?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:26:14 AM by jrpublic »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:50:30 AM »
We can talk all that we want about the Safe zone Browser, but fact remains that it is gone.
Let's see wait for the new browser and.see what that one is bringing us.

Offline carltillotson

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:57:05 PM »
Let's see wait for the new browser and.see what that one is bringing us.

Hopefully, not the same payload as CCleaner just had recently.  Rather embarrassing for Avast!  :-[

That aside, just goes to show how easy an attack vector it can be, if a well liked piece of software could be targeted. 

Offline Lloyd De Jongh

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »
Hi,

the version .909 was just normal browser update.. This is not a new browser.

Can you please advise what the risk is of adding DuckDuckGo? As a paying Premium client of many years I do appreciate a proper explanation rather than just "No".

I want it as part of the search options (default preferred). I never use Yahoo or Bing, and prefer to avoid Google when possible. As posted by others, the search providers in Avast are all selling our data and tracking us. How is this more secure?

Yes, I will be able to understand the reply, not every customer is an 83 year old Grandma with no technical background.

The number of the beast - vi vi vi