Author Topic: problem with updates with new version  (Read 5691 times)

boromeo

problem with updates with new version
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:18:27 PM »
Hi..:-)

I have a problem with the automatic updates with  the new version 4.7.826..Avast pro just don't do it..It is supposed to update automaticaly every 60 minutes and that last time it did the automatic update was at 8 am this morning and when i came back home it was 4 pm and the last update was at 8 am again..it's not cause of my firewall (kerio) since it worked before and when i manually update , it works . I had npo problems at all with the previous version

i tried to repair , didn't worked , i uninstalled it same problem

Is it a bug of the new version ?.. :-[

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: problem with updates with new version
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 09:22:25 PM »
Please check this: http://www.avast.com/eng/4-7-826-problems.html
Or the other (long) thread on the forum: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20854.0 (especially the last few pages are relevant).

Thx
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

boromeo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »
Thanks . :) i will take a look immediatly

boromeo

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »
i read the 2 links you gave me and i don't have problems like those in the long thread, I can see my Avast icon and Avast seems to work since the blue ball turns as i go on the internet..the problem is just with the automatic updates , will have to desintall it for good if it's not fixed.. :-[

boromeo

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 10:57:13 PM »
well here's what i did :

1- i uninstalled version 4.7 817 with the program called your uninstaller 2006 cause not only it uninsatll programs but also delte everything about the program too

2 - i used registry mechanic to scan the registry too

3 -i used registry first aid

4 - then i rebooted my computer and installed the 826 version of Avast

5- rebooted the computer again

still doesn't want to do the automatic updates

I went to the link you gave me :

http://www.avast.com/eng/4-7-826-problems.html

1 - the operating system was previously updated from Windows NT 4.0

not at all

2 - avast was installed in a different folder than the default Program Files folder (that was offered to you by the installer

no

3 -previously, the system volume was converted from FAT32 to NTFS

i always had NTFS

so whats wrong with that ??

Will there be a fix in a near future ?

i had to uninstall Avast and install another free antivirus Avg in between .. :-[

Rick F

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 11:25:02 PM »
boromeo,

Maybe your settings got hosed or changed.  Did you check to see under 'program settings' whether or not avast is set for auto update?

Right-click on blue ball icon on sys tray.
click on 'program settings'
in the left panel, click on 'update (basic)'
make sure bubble is ticked for 'automatic' or
'ask when update is available'.

Then click on 'Details'
There's an entry for 'auto update interval'
Enter how many minutes you want to go before updates.  Mine is 'Auto update every' 240 minutes (or every 4 hours).

Hope this helps.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:49:56 PM »
I have been following these threads for the last few days, and I must admit I am confused.  I have never experienced any of these problems Avast starts first time, every time and quietly updates in the background.  There must be one or two specific configurations that are causing these problems, or maybe a programme that is interfering.  I have used all the Betas for donkeys years (downloaded as soon as available) only once did I have a problem and that was on the first iteration of webshield, when the ZA conflict was found.  I am a compulsive tweaker so I do have a clean and fast (for it's age) system.  I use CrapCleaner to clear all temps on start up and I clean my registry monthly. Is there a common programme somewhere, maybe on startup or aggressive stopping of windows services I don't know.  I have tried to reproduce this on my machine but the only way I can do it is to stop ZA from allowing Avast to access the net.  I don't know if my ramblings will help any, but who knows it might trigger something in someones mind..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »
I too have had no issues with any of the latest releases, but as has been said they believe it has affected 0.1 - 0.4% of users, not an inconsequential number especially if you are one of those with a problem.

It must be an absolute nightmare trying to track down the system configurations/permutations that might cause this to happen and apply a fix. 4.7.827 looks to have gone some way towards that but some are still effected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 11:59:45 PM »
It must be an absolute nightmare trying to track down the system configurations/permutations that might cause this to happen and apply a fix. 4.7.827 looks to have gone some way towards that but some are still effected.

Why do you think so? There's no single person that reported that he/she would have similar issues with 827.

Boromeo, so, did you try downloading and installing the latest version (4.7.827)? You didn't make it clear in your post. You only said you uninstalled using aswClear.exe (which is OK), but then...?

Thanks
Vlk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 01:25:07 AM »

Why do you think so? There's no single person that reported that he/she would have similar issues with 827.
Not a problem with .827 but the amount of work trying to identify the problem in .826, leading up to the release of .827 to resolve it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 01:38:11 AM »
Well, I somehow anticipated that once we start touching the access rights it's gonna be tough (because of SO different settings different people have) - and it was indeed the case.

Hopefully, we have it now ironed out (in fact, one more update will be needed to iron it out completely - but that one can wait for a couple of days, now that the situation is sort of contained.)

Thanks
Vlk

boromeo

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 02:05:26 AM »
ok

Rick F : the udate configuration is ok i have put the udates to be updated every 60 minutes and was set to automatic so  the problem doesn't seems be there

Vlk : i did what i said in my previous post

When i got up this mornin Avast was at the 827 version and by clicking to the program settings update(basic) and details the last update has been done at 8:05 am then by 11 am i checked again to see that it was still at 8:05 am so i saw there was something wrong cause i didn't have any problem with the previous version with automatic updates...

so what i did is this

1 - uninstall avast with a program called ..your uninstaller cause not only it uninstall a program but also scan the registry till nothing is left of the program

2- scanned the registry with registry mechanic full version

3- scanned the registry with registry first aid full version too

4- scanned my registry manually with the regedit command there was a alwill folder in the hkey current use and also an alwill folder in the hkey local machine so i deleted those 2 folders manually

5 - after that i rebooted my computer and repeated the 1 to 4 steps

6- i've downloaded the 827 version on the avast.com site

7- installed the new version and rebooted my computer

8- in the program settings update(basic) everything was set to be automatic and in details i choose to update every 30 minutes but 30 minutes later no updates even 1 hour and a half later

so since i erased all traces in the registry and even lookin for any traces left of avast and reinstalling the new version 827 i still have that problem of automatic updates

there's something u said about aswclear.exe taht catched my attention..i used the program your uninstaller i don't know if it would have been better if i used aswclear.exe file instead

i mean maybe i could do the following: reinstsall the new version  of Avast and then use aswclear.exe utility, so that maybe i could get rid of any traces left by avast but i doubt it casue with all the registry utilities i have ( registry mechanic and registry first aid and also by manually look in my registry with regedit i don't see anything left of avast

as i said also it's not cause of my firewall cause Avst can update manually and i never had problems with automatic updates before the new version 827 that is..

:(

boromeo

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 09:02:08 AM »
Problem fixed.. :) i know what the problem was , 2 days ago i gave a try to the Drweb antivirus but it wouldn't work so i uninstalled it , but there was still a file in the windows/system32 folder , i couldn't delete it even in safe mode , so i took a radical decision , i formatted my hard disk and reinstall windows, then i installed Avast and rebooted the computer , there was something wrong again the blue ball wouldn't spin , so i uninstalled it again with the aswclear utility , rebooted and installed Avast again and this time everything was fine and Avast would do the automatic updates... :D

I'd like to thank all those who tried to help me and also for your quick answers... :)