Author Topic: (Solved)Avast Free Scan Stops After 10 Files  (Read 4094 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free Scan Stops After 10 Files
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »
It isn't the screenshot, my image was an example of where to look. 

Eddy is after the actual file containing the data on the scan. 

However there are no report logs for any scans in your image, so it looks like you aren't Generating the Scan file.  You need to open the Scan settings that you have been running and under the Report File check the option to Generate report file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
I definitely do not have a screen that looks like yours. I checked under everything. How do you get to that screen. I've attached a screen shot of the closest thing to "enable logging" I could find.....Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »
Because you aren't looking in the correct section, I said you need to edit the scan settings.

You need to open the Scan settings that you have been running and under the Report File check the option to Generate report file.

My image is of a scan, AvastUI > Protection > Antivirus - In that section you see 3 Scans, Smart Scan (settings for that are in a different location), Run Full Virus Scan and Other Scans, which will open another section for those.  Lets deal with the Full Virus Scan at the top of its square there is a cog wheel, that is the settings link for the scan (that is the same when you go to the Other scans section).

Now you are at the point of my earlier attached image, and there you need to select Report File.

I would suggest that you have a good look around the UI to get familiar with where things are.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
I feel like you are going to put me into detention.
Thanks for your patience, I found where I should be.
Should I only select "infected items" and "hard errors" to report(default), or since I'm having issues, select the others; soft errors, OK items and skipped items?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 10:27:53 PM »
You should not select anything in the GUI.
Sjees, navigate to the log file and attach it to your next post here.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 11:21:27 PM »
I feel like you are going to put me into detention.
Thanks for your patience, I found where I should be.
Should I only select "infected items" and "hard errors" to report(default), or since I'm having issues, select the others; soft errors, OK items and skipped items?

I leave it on the default settings other than enabling the Generate report file option.  If you were to enable anything else the report file can get very big, especially if you included OK items.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
Ran a full scan last night, it ran and finished. Only thing that's changed is I enabled creating a scan log. Let me know if the one attached is the correct one. Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Yes, that is the one and it looks like you might also enabled skipped items.  Though I suppose this might be considered a hard error, I don't know.

As the file install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_aih.exe is a self extracting executable file that is password protected. Whilst avast can see the file names within the self extracting executable file it can't extract them to scan them and that is why they are being reported.

Did you actually download this install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_aih.exe file, as this appears to be a very old version of flash player 11, 32bit, if the file name with 11X32 is what I think it might be.  The believe the latest version of flash player is 27.0.0.130 and it is always recommended to have the latest version installed to avoid vulnerabilities being exploited.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:51:41 PM by DavidR »

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
I don't ever remember downloading this on purpose. Plus, I have Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, so it wouldn't make sense to download this 32 bit file. Is there an issue with the existence of this file on my system?
Also, why did the scan run fine? I seem to remember in the past getting intermittent completed Avast Free scans.....not sure though.
Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 11:38:26 PM »
As this scan finished without a problem, let's call the other a glitch for now.
If it happens again, attach the scan log to a new post here.
If the log is really large, remove the 'middle part' of it.
Most important are the first lines with the OS etc and the last ones that show where it went wrong and what was scanned just before it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 12:40:43 AM »
I don't ever remember downloading this on purpose. Plus, I have Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, so it wouldn't make sense to download this 32 bit file.

Is there an issue with the existence of this file on my system?

Also, why did the scan run fine? I seem to remember in the past getting intermittent completed Avast Free scans.....not sure though.
Thanks

1.  Whilst I can't see any reason why it would download automatically, the flashplayer updates normally have to be downloaded and then installed.

2.  There should be no issue with it being there, avast tried to scan it, but couldn't because it was password protected.  That isn't an indication it is suspicious/infected, just that it can't be scanned.  That said I see no purpose in it being there in your downloads area if you have no recollection of downloading it or intention of running it.

3. Unfortunately there is insufficient information to say or guess why the scan didn't run but now does.  Now that you have the Generation of a scan log you would be likely to have some information to work with.  If you haven't also checked the Generation of a scan log in the other scan (that you run) settings, then you should do that.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
In my initial post I referred back to a thread in 2016 where I was able to see the files that it was testing, on the GUI, and it always stopped (if I remember correctly, the hanging was intermittent) at winlogon.exe, at least back then. I'm certain this is a different version of Avast Free then on October of 2016. I know it is, since on this one, when it's scanning, I can't see the files it's going through. So we'll go with the "glitch" on this one and from your help I can navigate the UI better now. Thanks for your time.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 12:56:09 AM »
Although the hardware and OS can handle 64 bits applications, most are still 32 bit.

What version of 'flash' will be installed also depends on the installed browser version(s).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:05 AM »
In my initial post I referred back to a thread in 2016 where I was able to see the files that it was testing, on the GUI, and it always stopped (if I remember correctly, the hanging was intermittent) at winlogon.exe, at least back then. I'm certain this is a different version of Avast Free then on October of 2016. I know it is, since on this one, when it's scanning, I can't see the files it's going through. So we'll go with the "glitch" on this one and from your help I can navigate the UI better now. Thanks for your time.

You're welcome.

Unfortunately a year is a very long time in security much happens and gets changed.  At a point the whole statistics section was removed with the intention of revision/improvement and that was the last we saw of statistics.  So your guess would be as good as mine if and when it comes back.