Author Topic: avast! and AntiVir as on demand scanner  (Read 15140 times)

JojoFrench

avast! and AntiVir as on demand scanner
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:37:04 AM »
Hello!

"avast! or not avast!" That is the question.  ::)
After days of intensive reflexion, I have chosen avast!

But can I download and install AntiVir 7,
just as on-demand scanner?

Will I have some problems ?

Thanks. ;D

timcan

Re: avast! and AntiVir as on demand scanner
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »
Seems I've read that antivir 7 doesn't play well in that role.
Bitdefender 8 is designed to be an on demand scanner.Hope this helps,  tim

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 03:31:43 PM »
Timcan is correct Tech and another forum member have tried to get the latest version of AntiVir to work as a back-up scanner but failed.

What at first looks hopeful is you get it setup and it works but when you next reboot, avast disables some of its processes to avoid conflict which could leave your system locked up and possibly vulnerable.

You need an anti-virus that is on-demand only Timcan gives you one, there are a few others, or you could use 'On-line Virus Scanners' and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:33:19 AM »
But can I download and install AntiVir 7, just as on-demand scanner?
No you can't anymore...
avast providers will be disabled in the second boot  :'( :-\
The best things in life are free.

JerryM

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »
I might add that AVG, in my experience, also does not work as a second and on-demand scanner. I have tried it twice and while it seemed to work for a time it soon prevented me from getting email.

For me, the on-line scanners work the better of the two methods. But since they never find anything I wonder if that is worth the trouble.

Jerry

por100pre1

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »
I tried that last week and AntiVir ended up causing avast! to stop part of its resident modules. Even if you disable AntiVir services there's an AntiVir module that will start anyway causing avast! to stop some modules. You will do better using BitDefender.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 03:34:47 PM by por100pre1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »
I might add that AVG, in my experience, also does not work as a second and on-demand scanner.
No, AVG works IF you do NOT install the resident (guard) and the email (outlook and others) plugins. Disable does not work... you can't install.

mauserme

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:18:40 PM »
avast providers will be disabled in the second boot :'( :-\
Tech,

I found a partial solution to this.  I can use the AntiVir 7 on demand scanner without disabling the avast! providers, but I cannot get AntiVir to update with this method.  I'm considering this a "work in progress":

Install AntiVir to the default directory and reboot
Create a new directory on your C: drive (mine is called AntiVir Nonreg)
Copy all the installed AntiVir files to the new folder
Uninstall AntiVir and reboot (avast! should be fully functional at this point)
Open avcenter.exe in the AntiVir Nonreg folder and scan from the Scanner tab

If you try this and find a way to update let me know.

Also, for anyone else trying this, I haven't observed any conflicts with avast! but can't guarantee there won't be any.  I'm testing this behind an antivirus appliance so at least my interenet gateway is protected even if things go wrong on the computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:45:50 PM »
I found a partial solution to this.  I can use the AntiVir 7 on demand scanner without disabling the avast! providers, but I cannot get AntiVir to update with this method.  I'm considering this a "work in progress":
Yes, I'll test...

Also, for anyone else trying this, I haven't observed any conflicts with avast! but can't guarantee there won't be any.
Shouldn't have any conflict... I'll test...

JerryM

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »
I might add that AVG, in my experience, also does not work as a second and on-demand scanner.
No, AVG works IF you do NOT install the resident (guard) and the email (outlook and others) plugins. Disable does not work... you can't install.

Thanks, the problem I had twice was with email. I see what would be necessary.

Jerry

boromeo

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:56:46 PM »
More simple that that, use Avast only and use any antivirus online to be sure that you won't have any conflicts, I always do an online scan once a week . ;)

Its Me

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 10:30:43 PM »
Hello

Installing AVAST and ANTIVIR PERSONAL EDITION (AVPE) could work but could crash too. ;) Just test it.

AVAST will be the first scanner, AVPE the second. In this case AVPE needs to be installed in user mode. When AVPE will ask for installing modules all modules except the main scanner will be deactivated (not installed, no mark set). In this case LUKEFILEWALKER will be installed only with the sytem tray tool (CONFIGURATION TOOL). This installation is essential for a basic installtion of both. But ... check and test it. Maybe it will run ... or not.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »
Yes, I'll test...
It will work IF the user does NOT boot after the installation, COPY all files to another folder, UNINSTALL it right after.
There are a lot of Registry keys that 'make possible' Antivir to work and update. I cannot manage a way to do that without the Registry keys.
You can (although is very dangerous for common users) manually change the Registry to 'redirect' the keys to the new installation folder.

Anyway, as far I could see, there are two SYSTEM DRIVERS that are loaded EVEN WITH THE GUARD NOT INSTALLED.
They are: avgntflt.sys and avgio.sys.
I will NOT test what happens IF I DELETE this files or remove the Registry keys for them. Most probably, a BSOD (crash) will occurs with the absence of these two system drivers.

Besides all of these, tweaking and 'craking' the normal installation this way could be out of the 'legit' field... I don't know if it's permited or not...

The validity of the installation is 6 months (or at least untill August this year). Don't worth the test...
Avira has a very good detection rate but, right now, can't work as a second, backup, non-resident scanner  :'(

mauserme

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »
In this case AVPE needs to be installed in user mode. When AVPE will ask for installing modules all modules except the main scanner will be deactivated (not installed, no mark set). In this case LUKEFILEWALKER will be installed only with the sytem tray tool (CONFIGURATION TOOL). This installation is essential for a basic installtion of both.

Hi Me,

When I installed Antivr I was given the choice of including the AntiVir Guard and the Shell Extension.  I installed only AntiVir Personal Edition without checking the Guard as I take this to be the resident protection.  The problem is after a reboot or two avast! detects that AntiVir is installed and disables Standard Shield, etc.  Do you know a way around this problem???

It will work IF the user does NOT boot after the installation, COPY all files to another folder, UNINSTALL it right after.
But only until a reboot and then no more updates?  That's what happended to me.

Avira has a very good detection rate but, right now, can't work as a second, backup, non-resident scanner :'(
But we're a little closer than expected.  Not ready to give up yet - I'll post again if I find anything workable.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 11:57:58 PM »
Avira has a very good detection rate...

Pretty good response to submitted malware too:

We found a new dialer in the attachment you have sent us.

The signature will be integrated in one of our next updates.

The signature of the dialer will be detected as TR/Dialer.LA.102.

We thank you for your assistance.

-- Freundliche Gruesse / Best regards Avira GmbH
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog