Author Topic: Avast!, MS Outlook 2K3, and MIA attachments  (Read 3356 times)

VunderBob

Avast!, MS Outlook 2K3, and MIA attachments
« on: April 29, 2006, 12:12:59 PM »
I've looked through the posts, and thought I found a relevant one, but it didn't work.

I'm a relative newbie to the world of Avast. I have v4.7 installed on my PC, along with MS Office 2003. Ever since I took the plunge, I have a huge problem sending attachments or embedded graphics in e-mails. Most of the recipients get the dread red  X. This happens when I send to my joke lists; if I send by onesies or so, the graphic or attachment will get through.

I found a thread last night that said something about increasing a timeout value under Internet Mail/Advanced. I popped that sucker up as far as it would go, and I'm still have the same problems. Any help?

This is enough to send me back to Norton AV, because it's better to deal with the b@stard you know, over the one you don't....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast!, MS Outlook 2K3, and MIA attachments
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
Note - I'm not an MS Outlook user so I can't give any advice on its workings, etc.

Firstly you shouldn't need to use Internet Mail provider (IMP) if your only email is MS Outlook (not express), you should be using the Outlook/Exchange plug-in. The timeout in IMP would have no effect on MS Outlook. avast doesn't block attachments or embedded images, it just scans the content and attachments and alerts if infected/suspicious.

Are you using the Outlook/Exchange plug-in and if so is it enabled in Outlook ?
Have you tried a forums search for outlook 2003 or 2k3 and see if this has been raised before. There have been a few posts I recollect about Outlook 2003 but I'm unsure if they are related to this issue.

Norton the evil you do know is notoriously difficult to remove (but this doesn't sound like any usual conflict). A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:25:25 PM »
VunderBob, do you see the avast Outlook shield splash whenever you start Outlook?
Also, how large are the emails you're sending?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

VunderBob

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 03:33:07 AM »
VunderBob, do you see the avast Outlook shield splash whenever you start Outlook?
Also, how large are the emails you're sending?

Yes I got the splash screen.

Some extra symptoms:

- despite the size, large emails that are text only get through. Unsure about text-only attachments, because haven't sent one of those in quite a while.

- I can always remail one of the hosed picture posts without a problem to one or two people.

- the affected mails are typically a minimum 100K bytes with the pictures.

FWIW, I'm also running the Sygate firewall.