Author Topic: How to re-connect back to Avast Passwords  (Read 3570 times)

REDACTED

How to re-connect back to Avast Passwords
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
Hi

I had to wipe my computer the other day and re-image it because of the CCleaner virus.  I had a few accounts and passwords in Avast Passwords, I was using Avast SafeZone.

After re-imaging my computer I can't get back to my Avast Passwords that I had saved.  Is it because my c:\ drive was wiped and it means my Avast Passwords was wiped as well?  Or is it still there somewhere in the cloud?

I know the master password, not a problem, but I can't get back to the Passwords I had already set up.  I can create a Password account and start from scratch but I would like my original Passwords back.

If I can't get it back does it mean it doesn't exist anymore and they're all gone?  Or is it still stored in the cloud somewhere where I can get to it somehow?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to re-connect back to Avast Passwords
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
If you can get them back.depends on how you had things setup.
It is all explained in the FAQ and several other threads.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
What I found in FAQs is:

"Passwords stores your passwords with a much more secure level of encryption, and protects all
your data with a password known only to you, so that your data remains safely hidden from any
unauthorized access" - (doesn't say if it's stored on the c:\ drive or cloud)

"When you connect Passwords to your Avast Account, your information is safely encrypted and
ready to synchronize for easy access from any of your connected devices. Additionally, a backup
is created for your Passwords data. The backup can be restored in case you lose access to a
device" - (I didn't sync the Passwords, I didn't create a backup so didn't get any email to click
Restore).

I've read through some posts but didn't seem to find anything that confirms the files are in the cloud
or not. Some posts say that on a new machine the Passwords can be synced but I can't get to it
now to synch.  I hadn't synced it before.

If I've wiped them then that's ok I can start again, but if they're still out there somewhere I'd like to
get them back.

I'll have a bit more reading of the posts and see if anyone mentions how to link back to their Password account on a new computer

Thank you.

Cheers

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:06 PM »
Hi,

If you haven't turned synchronization on then they are gone. In offline mode (without synchronization) those data are stored on your local hard drive only so once you loose your drive, you have lost also your passwords along with other stuff.
Once/If you start again I recommend turn on synchronization so you can use avast passwords also on iOS or Andorid and you have backup so you recover in case of some disaster happens in the future. It free, only avast account is required and it make sense even in case you have just one device, because of the backup ;-)

Just make sure that once you turn on synchronzation, you receive backup link (we send for new synchronization) and note that you will need to know master password of the device you connect to synchronization at the time of connection once you will want to use backup in recovery scenario.

Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:12 AM »
Hi Martin

Thank you for your reply!  You have understood and explained what happened.  You have also explained what I need to do so that I get it right the next time.  I can follow your advice.

Excellent service, thank you!  :)

Cheers

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »

it says wrong password even though I entered the correct one. plz help

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »
unable to  open settings. :(

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »
Settings of passwords or just settings in general? It makes huge difference for proper advice ;-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:37:15 AM by Martin Kvetko »