Author Topic: Avast says my Password Protection Software is risky  (Read 1713 times)

REDACTED

Avast says my Password Protection Software is risky
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:37:01 PM »
I use Passwords Plus by DataViz.  Every time Avast Free Antivirus does a scan, it tells me that Passwords Plus is risky and I should remove it.  I contacted the DataViz support desk, and they responded.  They use Amazon AWS as their cloud hosting service, and they have "what is considered the most secure servers in the industry."  They tell me that my information in the cloud stays encrypted at all times.  They only decrypt my information on my devices after I've entered my master password.  So, even if someone got my database out of the cloud (they say that's not going to happen), it's encrypted with AES 256 encryption and can only be decrypted with my master password. 

So, WHY does Avast say it's risky?  I've talked to three other techies, and they don't understand either unless Avast provides me with more information.  I'd love some answers!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast says my Password Protection Software is risky
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »
could you post a screenshot of the message avast give?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
If you look at how much abuse is happening at the Amazon servers and how much certificates are not correctly there, it doesn't surprise me that avast is alerting.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:49 AM »
Sorry, "Pondus" but this is the first time I've used this forum, and I did a snip of the email that DataViz sent and copied it, but it won't "paste" into this reply.  I also clicked on the insert image and insert email icons above and that didn't help either.

However, I pretty much copied they said in my original post, but here it is word for word:

"I'm assuming it's saying we're risky because we access the internet (amazon web services) every time you sync.  The message is generic, so you would have to ask them why they think we're risky.  We use Amazon AWS as our cloud hosting service because they take security as seriously as we do.  They have what are considered the most secure servers in the industry.  In addition, your information in the cloud stays encrypted at all times.  We only decrypt your info on your device after you've entered your master password.  So even if someone got your database out of the cloud, which is not going to happen, it's encrypted with AES 256 encryption and can only be decrypted with your master password.  Please let me know if yo9u have additional questions.  Kristy" support@dataviz.com

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
Sorry, "Pondus" but this is the first time I've used this forum, and I did a snip of the email that DataViz sent and copied it, but it won't "paste" into this reply.  I also clicked on the insert image and insert email icons above and that didn't help either.
See below the box you write in here  >>  Attachments and other options

It is not the mail from DataViz but the alert message from avast we want to see

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:32:59 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »
I hope the attachment can be opened. 

Offline stibi

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
As Pondus wrote - show us  the alert message from avast, not the text from Dataviz

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:29:25 PM »
I hope the attachment can be opened. 

Yes, it can be opened, just click on it to expand.

It is a bad reputation rather than malicious and not 'risky' there is nothing in the attached image that says risky as such.

By having a bad reputation I would say it is more that few avast users (out of the 400 Mission plus users) are using that add-on.

My not use the Firefox built in password manager > Tools > Options > Security > Logins.
See http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/use-the-firefox-password-manager/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »
Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security