Author Topic: Why Avast! Is The Best  (Read 5344 times)

Dave50

Why Avast! Is The Best
« on: December 24, 2003, 03:53:44 PM »
First, I apologize if this topic is out of place.  Second, I apologize for the length.  However, given the spirit of the holidays, I thought that at least some of you would get a laugh from this -- although it's not funny if you're new to computers like a good friend of mine.

He has the same computer I do -- same make and model number, same software and applications.  The only difference, I use Avast! and he insisted on buying Norton 2004 and pleaded with me to help him install it.

NAV 2004 performs a pre-install scan that takes 15 minutes.  Then, during the installation, it asks for a product code activation (something new from Symantec that causes problems).  Then, after installation, you're supposed to remove the disk, reboot and then it's suppose to run an automatic scan.  Wrong!

The CD-Rom tray doesn't open and you get 'keyboard error' pop-ups even though there's nothing listed in the Event Viewer.  You reboot with the disk in the computer and then it pops out, but with another 'keyboard error' message.  Again, nothing in Event Viewer.  Then, it fails to run the auto scan, but asks for the product activation again and again.  After 5 of those, NAV 2004 will not work.

Symantec has you download a patch to fix the problem and it appears to work -- until you use Windows Media Player.  AFTER you close WMP, you get a pop-up saying it encountered an error and needs to close, even though it's already closed.  I traced that to Norton's auto protect.

My friend, who now thinks he's going to spend Christmas fixing a messed-up computer, is very upset.  Not to worry.  With our HP Pavilions, the operating system's on a hidden partition and to wipe the hard drive, reformat and reload Windows XP requires only a couple of keystrokes and 11 and a half minutes.  Avast! is now in the computer and everything is working perfectly.

It will be a Merry Christmas after all.   ;D

Thank you Avast! Team -- once again -- for a great product. a great forum and great people who really care.

Happy Holidays...

Dave

techie101

Re:Why Avast! Is The Best
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 02:36:39 AM »
Dave50,

Thank you for your kind remarks.  The people here on the forum make it what it is, and I think it is one of the best support forums that I have had the pleasure of being associated.

Stop by anytime,

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 12:38:45 PM »
The people here on the forum make it what it is, and I think it is one of the best support forums that I have had the pleasure of being associated. Techie

Quite agree with everything.
What can I say to that unlucky NAV 2004 user?
The best things in life are free.

Dave50

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 12:52:18 PM »
It was a Merry Christmas.  Avast! is doing its job properly and my friend got his money back from the store where he purchased NAV 2004.   :)

Best wishes to all for the New Year.....

Dave