Author Topic: Avast Passwords - Authorising new devices for synchronisation  (Read 6681 times)

Offline kevincherbert

Avast Passwords - Authorising new devices for synchronisation
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:54:02 PM »
Hi,

I originally purchased Passwords on a laptop which is now defunct. Unfortunately in the absence of the original device, I am unable to authorise any of my new devices. Add to this the fact that unfortunately, I cannot track down the backup restore email.

I know therefore that I'd need to create a new vault (not a problem, as never really got it up and running previoulsy), the question is to how this can be done and how to establish a new authorised device.

Many thanks.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: Avast Passwords - Authorising new devices for synchronisation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
Hi kevincherbert,

I have checked our records and you can't find recovery email, because we haven't created a backup. You have turned on sycnhronization on Android phone while age and at that time we have had bug with creation of backup in android ap. I'm sorry for that. I can also see that you have recently joined new device to synchronization. If you want enable synchronization again we need to perform factory reset of your synchronization group. For that I need cooperation from your side to make sure all things goes smooth.

I need you to turn off synchronization on all devices you have available. As you have no trusted device at the moment your records will not be affected by turning synchronization off and they get synchronized once you turn it back on in following step.
Once you are done with synchronization turn off please send me direct email to kvetko@avast.com from your mailbox (so I can be sure you are the one who owns the account)
I will perform the reset (this will wipe records from our database and allow you start with synchronization from scratch) and reply you back once everything is ready from our side.

Should you have any further questions related to this topic feel free to post them to the forum so other users may benefit from responses on them ;-)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »
Hi Martin, after reading so many posts from disappointed colleague-customers on password synchronization, you seem to be one of the more knowledgeable moderators and i hope you can help me too with my synchronization problem:

I use a windows laptop (together with my husband) and an iPhone 5S (just for me) and just bought a premium password license for myself, after using the password license from my husband on the laptop for a long time. But because of that, i was not able to synch onto my iphone. But after this new start i have a few problems:
- i didn't get the confirmation mail with backup option;
- i never got one of the screens with the question to choose for authoriation or not, on neither device.
- hopening to get things right i opened my iphone and started the synch there too, but to no avail.

Please help me - thanks in advance.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
Well to be honest, I don't really get how your current setup looks like
From our records I can see that you have synchronization group set for the account you use on forum since Feb 1, 2017
There is no Windows device connected to your synchronization group yet
You may add windows device via Avast->Settings->Passwords->Turn on synchronization
Then you need to confirm Windows device on other already "trusted" device or you backup link from your email for self-authorization
We have sent you backup link to your mail box on Feb 1, 2017 7:19:25 PM GMT

Additional questions I need get answered in the case the above mentioned is not right solution for you:
Are you still sharing laptop with your husband?
Do you use separate windows accounts on laptop?
If you don't then my question is if it is OK that you share logins between you and your husband? Or you want to set it up separate so your records doesn't clash.

Regards,

Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
Hello, I too was trying to set up the password sync feature but think I am a little confused about how to go about this. I have an samsung note 5 android cell, a samsung tablet, and a windows 7 laptop. All three have previously been syncing without any problems. So when it instructs me to "authorize this device on one of my other authorized devices, until then the app will work without synchronizing, and will synchronize once authorized."
What does this exactly mean and how do I do it, please provide me with exact details on how to do this. This may sound somewhat ignorant but I honestly do need clear and exact details. Thank you very much. 

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »
Hello, how to perform an authorization is described here:
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/255/

The reason we require device authorization is simply a level of security. Imagine the case someone will hack your my avast account. If we don't require authorization he could simply activate Avast passwords and login with your my avast account and he would get all your login details for other webistes and services, also he would get your secure notes and he may get your credit cards. With current security model authorization by trusted counterpart is required when you are joining new device to synchronization (by device we consider password storage instance so even if you use still same phone and you do factory reset, the next login to synchronization from that device will be considered as new device joining). The trusted counterpart is either other device which is fully trusted (first device joined to synchonization is automatically trusted) or you may estabilish trust using backup link we have sent you when you activated synchonization for the first time. The details about the procedure can be found on the link mentioned above.

Offline roger35

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
Hi Martin I have a identical problem to kevincherbert. My original desktop has gone defunct which was the original synchronisation PC. I have the backup restore email but when i click on the restore link it just gives me the rotating circle saying loading. On my laptop which was the second machine i can still access all my passwords but i cannot synchronise or authorise. Can you help please 
I unsynchronsied on the new desktop and this then allowed me to authorise on the laptop and then synchronise on the new desktop.
Problem solved thank you
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:07:17 PM by roger35 »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
What if you lose your main and only device? Are you able to synchronise passwords somehow?

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
You can use backup link we have send to your email address you when you turned synchronization on your first device.

Offline michael1047

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »
Hi Martin

Can you reset my account so I can authorize my pc please

Ive lost the reset email, so Ill have to start from scratch again.

Many Thanks
Michael

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
The backup link leads to a page where the password I used for first instlalation is asked.  I don't have this password.  How can I reset the whole thing and start anew from the PC and my phones?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
Hi, I have same issue, lost the email that received from Avast Software with the subject Your backup identity
Any method to reset all of synchronization data and start over again? XD

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
If you don't have backup link (email) and you want to start from scratch (with sync) then just please turn off synchronization on all devices you have access to, send me the link to kvetko@avast.com from email address you are requesting reset for and I will reset your synchronization group so you can start from scratch with new synchronization group using same email address (avast account) as you have used before.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
Hi, I used a Mac laptop and had tons of passwords save with Avast password and turned backup and sync on. My Mac laptop has problem and I sent it to Applestore to repair and it takes too long. I now use my old Windows laptop and I can't restore my passwords from my Mac. I could not find any restore/backup link email. Is there any way to get that backup link email? Many important passwords I need to restore to use on my windows device, please help!

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »
Hi, I used a Mac laptop and had tons of passwords save with Avast password and turned backup and sync on. My Mac laptop has problem and I sent it to Applestore to repair and it takes too long. I now use my old Windows laptop and I can't restore my passwords from my Mac. I could not find any restore/backup link email. Is there any way to get that backup link email? Many important passwords I need to restore to use on my windows device, please help!

I can see your windows device as trusted, so assuming that you have resolved the issue somehow