Author Topic: Using Avast with Stunnel and Eudora (and gmail)  (Read 1808 times)

REDACTED

Using Avast with Stunnel and Eudora (and gmail)
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »
I'm trying to use Stunnel with Eudora to retrieve POP mail from gmail to stop the way-too-often SSL certificate updates. It all seems set up properly but I keep getting an error. It appears that Avast is bound to the Port and Stunnel can't bind to that same port. If I disable Avast temporarily it works fine.

How can I set this up to work? I've tried setting it up using a different POP port (1110) and maybe I did something wrong, but that didn't work.

Any help is appreciated!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Using Avast with Stunnel and Eudora (and gmail)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
What exact version of avast?
What shield is causing the problem?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
I finally got it working. In Mail Shield I turned off "Scan SSL connections" (which seems odd since isn't the point of SSL to not be scanable?) and it unblocked the port and is working now.

In case it still matters, I'm using Free version 17.6.2310

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
I finally got it working. In Mail Shield I turned off "Scan SSL connections" (which seems odd since isn't the point of SSL to not be scanable?) and it unblocked the port and is working now.

In case it still matters, I'm using Free version 17.6.2310

Thanks

The problem is two conflicting actions, Stunnel and the avast Mail Shield.

They are essentially trying to do the same thing intercept emails and send them through their filtering/scanning method.

In order for avast to scan SSL emails it has to act in a similar way to Stunnel, hence the conflict. A year or more ago I believe avast used stunnel in order to be able to scan and the user had to change the port settings in order for avast to scan email content.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:42 PM »
That makes sense and it's the conflict I was seeing (Avast was already bound to the port) but all my experimenting and online searching turned up no answer, which seems odd. So shutting off Avast scanning SSL mail worked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:09:17 PM »
That's the problem when searching online for what was a very long time ago (years) that Stunnel was used to intercept and scan emails.

It doesn't really matter how it is done right now, just that it can be done and hence the collision.

Personally I would have stopped using Stunnel as that doesn't scan your email (SSL or ordinary).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
I'm using Stunnel because I use Eudora and check several gmail accounts (along with non-gmail ones). Gmail changes their SSL certificates about every two weeks. Eudora, being old, doesn't handle SSL certs well so each time Google changes them, you have to go to each gmail account settings and approve the new certificate. It's a PITA. So by using Stunnel on those accounts it handles it and saves a bi-weekly series of certificate approvals.

It's what I get for liking an old outdated email client!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
Well that is reason enough, providing you know that you have to be careful with unsolicited emails and any attachments of links in the email.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
I'm careful of them whether they come through Stunnel or Avast.  8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:19:31 AM »
I'm careful of them whether they come through Stunnel or Avast.  8)

Better than getting burned, as many people are happy to take a look and wonder what happened when they end up on a driveby site.

I also use MailWasher Pro and that reviews a very small sample of the email (in text format) from the server. It flags what it considers spam and I flag what is suspect/spam, they are then deleted at server level. It then opens your email client and you download the remainder.