Poll

Do you think Avast should add more spyware\Adware\Dialer\Malware Detections ?

Yes
8 (80%)
No
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Avast Detections  (Read 5416 times)

mouniernetwork

Avast Detections
« on: April 29, 2006, 09:26:41 PM »
Do you think Avast should add more spyware\Adware\Dialer Detections ?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast Detections
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
Hi mouniernetwork,

The answer to this question is not that easy. I would like to include malware, adware etc. where the installation goes "on the fly", and there is no interaction of the user necessary. I think this kind of malware should be detected by an AV solution. Other malware installs are made through users. Here anti-spyware solutions like a combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, should be a solution. End-users have a responsibilty also, you should be educated not to click on every pop-up message, install all Active-X that comes along, or visit dangerous sites without JavaScript blocked. So my answer would be Avast to stop everything that goes unseen under the hood, precaution and a bit of brain for the rest. If you start driving without brakes, you know you run certain risks.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mouniernetwork

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 12:14:02 AM »
Yes, I agree with you, but what for the users who do not know how to reconize a "bad" website ??

I am sure it would make avast more popular   :) :)

Almn

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 03:32:45 PM »
Hi mouniernetwork,

You know what to do to recognize a bad website. You could install siteadvisor both in IE or Firefox or Flock browsers. Or you can install the DrWeb pre-hyperlink scanner plug-in from here: http://info.drweb.com/show/2653 for either IE, Firefox, Flock or Opera browsers. Then you have no more excuses for going to malicious websites. Also install the NoScript add-on in Firefox or ClamWin glue add-on from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=771&application=firefox
, and you are a lot better secured inside your browser of choice. The basic line here is: AV should not solve an end-user problem, the end-user must get educated. Microsoft is also always starting from the wrong-end here. Drive better, don't install extra air-bags.

polonus
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:35:47 PM by polonus »

mouniernetwork

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 01:07:48 AM »
Isn't Dr.Web an AV as well ??? ???
Adding more Spyware\adware\malware would enable use to refer to an Avast feature instead of an outside company  :-\

Than again making it more popular :)
Or Avast could create a tool like the Dr.Web's that you mention above.

Almn

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 01:17:57 AM »
I claim for this a lot of times, with tears and cryes  :-\
Here I think we don't 'need' a combination (layered defense). It's not a firewall or a process manager... it's a malware with signatures.
I can't see a reason for avast! does not including them. Maybe it can't clean all of them, for sure, but protect using signatures?

Grisoft bought ewido. I hope avast! give a try on this field...
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 01:23:39 AM »
Hi mouniernetwork,

I do not know why avast did not develop something similar, but they have not. The update rate of DrWeb is very accurate. With this particular plug-in you scan all your hyperlink on their servers in St.Petersburg, nothing enters your machine, only their scanning report. It is rather unique. And you occasionally scanning with an online non-resident scanner like Bitdefender or downloading the DrWebCureIt or Stinger.exe for a second opinion, or having the extra protection of a non-resident open source scanner like ClamWin together with the ClamWin Glue add-on for Firefox, all this does not hurt Avast. You have it there for additional protection or a second opinion. You sure are not only visiting one doctor in your life, do you? Or feel a moral obligation to do so, but you have one private GP. Well it lies in a similar line, as far as I can see. Every malware vector stopped is one that does not land on your machine. Simple as that. DrWeb plug-in is only a browser add-on, not part of a resident AV-solution like Avast's WebShield. These are two complete different things, my friend.
Have a great day, and enjoy it,

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 01:29:38 AM »
You have it there for additional protection or a second opinion.
Ok... they're exactly this but, why don't we have a better avast first resident opinion:(
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 01:39:21 AM »
Hi Tech,

In some ways, I agree with you. Firstly because the malware theater is shifting from virus and worms to spyware and adware.
It has become the last big threat on the Internet. Then secondly the lines are blurring between the various forms of malware, as the Internet malicious theater is being more and more criminalized.
In these respects I second your views.

polonus

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 06:24:52 AM »

Yes, the lines are blurring between what is a virus, trojan, or worm and between what is adware or spyware. And, even between what should be in these two groups. Some of this malware is including various combinations from both groups making it difficult to say just what the malware is.

Someday soon, it may be that a security program will have to look for all these various forms of malware to be effective.