Author Topic: Privacy Questions  (Read 1803 times)

REDACTED

Privacy Questions
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
I have Avast mobile security. So is that collecting every single URL I visit, or only the ones malware comes from?

"For this purpose, we collect information from your device and Android OS, including crash data, current language/country code, anonymous identification of Avast user, and identified threats or visited URLs." - Privacy Policy

What does that even mean? "Identified threats OR visited URLs?" Weird wording. Maybe they meant to have an "and" there?

I looked at the permissions according to the app before I began using it, and nowhere did it say it looked at browsing history for Chrome, Internet or even My Files. But when I looked at the permissions from android settings, it said it had the power to view my history. Furthermore, This webshield was enabled from the beginning, which scans all the URLs. Is avast storing/selling these URLs?

If this is the case, I'm not seeing how they anonymize this data either. An explanation on how they do that would be nice.

Thanks!

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Privacy Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
"OR" is the proper conjunction here because the collection process depends on settings under Data settings / Data sharing. If you are uncomfortable having data collected or shared, please feel free to switch off these settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
I still can't find anything on how the deleting/anonomyzing the URLs actually works. I'm not on a paid version, so I don't have an account with Avast, so I can't request deletion. Can you explain the anonomyzing process?

Also is the URL collection enabled by default? And are they sharing un-anonymized data?

Offline Jesse, Mobile Product Manager

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
Hi there, are you referring to Avast Mobile Security? Please refer to our Privacy Policy here: https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy

I hope that helps!