Author Topic: iCloud Login Blocked by Avast in High Sierra  (Read 13495 times)

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: iCloud Login Blocked by Avast in High Sierra
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
Ondrej,

What is the root issue here? Is this something apple is doing detecting the man in th emiddle nature of the web shield proxy?
Hello,

It is hard to be sure, but when I encountered this issue for the first time, the only hint I have found was from logs that Safari was using some "more secure verification". I suspect they do not use the normal verification against the keychain but they either limit the allowed root certificates (while not using our certificate in the list) or do some additional verification (which exposes the man in the middle). At least this is what I would do if I wanted to make the page "more secure". Excepting the host seemed like the only sane thing to do in this case, but I was trying to make it the narrowest possible which was not a good idea as subsequent update widened the necessary exception. But now it should be fine, and for me it works on the same OS version.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:40:56 PM by ondrej.kolacek »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 02:18:33 AM »
Thanks Ondrej, leave it to apple to try some quirky things
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 02:54:05 AM »
Yeah, quirky. Because Apple couldn't afford nor has the better software engineers than avast!; right? /s As far as I'm aware, avast! is writing software for an OS, not the other way around. This includes Windows, Linux, or any other UNIX-like or BSD derivatives. Just chiming in because of Apple's quirkiness. avast! decided that their web scanner should block iCloud Photo Library syncing. Disable the real-time scanners and, wouldn't you know, the iCloud Photos Library began syncing and had retrieved approximately 1k photos in about 1-2 minutes. I've been having this problem since 10.13.3. I'm going to completely remove the software and attempt another clean install. However, if it doesn't resolve then I'll try other antivirus software. I'll report back if the problem is non-existent.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
 :) The problem appears to be resolved for me on macOS 10.13.4. I uninstalled avast! through the recommended uninstall routine, searched and removed files/folders related to avast!, and reinstalled. After a reboot, a clean installation of version 13.5.5a59486c66bc still required another reboot for avast! scanners to not block/inhibit particular network packets. This has been the norm for me since macOS 10.12 but it appears that avast! scanners are not blocking iCloud Photos Library syncing now. I'll report back or post with any problems, if they occur, in the future.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
Hello,
since the icloud.com webpage is constantly changing internally, we had to fix the issue again; however we are working on a solution that should prevent these issues from reappearing.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
Ondrej,

If you would, please post an update here on the forum when you guys have a permanent fix with the version its included in so we can let everyone know who is having this issue.

Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
Ondrej,

If you would, please post an update here on the forum when you guys have a permanent fix with the version its included in so we can let everyone know who is having this issue.

Mac

Hi,
unfortunately the framework needed to solve this more permanently won't get into the next version as it is quite complex and there is not enough time to sufficiently test it in the little remaining time. We are working on having the page monitored periodically so that we can fix issues as they come in the meantime.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:14 AM »
Whenever you get it sorted out, I'd love to hear about it. Been dogged by this issue for a long time now. Mac OS 10.13.4, Avast 13.5 (5a59486c66bc). I can't do anything at the App store, or even listen to a song in iTunes without disabling web shield, let alone use iCloud anything.