Author Topic: Avast Game Mode permanently disabling the update tasks in Windows Task Scheduler  (Read 12332 times)

Offline Michal256

Since yesterday's update, I noticed Avast Game Mode is stopping some update-related or custom created tasks in task scheduler, likely to make the gameplay experience smooth. All tasks except the Avast Emergency Update are disabled in the root Task Scheduler Library.

The problem is that this tasks are NOT re-enabled after the games are closed. That may leave your users vulnerable due to the fact most of those tasks are important update tasks (e.g. Flash auto-update). I have noticed it because I am using task scheduler to run the RealTemp automatically at logon. Since yesterday it is no longer triggering.

Please investigate and make sure the correct state of each task is restore after the game session is over (keep in mind that some users might be intentionally disabling some tasks in task scheduler root directory, and wish they would remain disabled after gaming session).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Please (re)search before posting.
This is already known, explained etc.

Offline Michal256

Care to explain where exactly? This is new issue in 17.7.2314 which came out only yesterday, however there is no such issue described in any recent threads.

REDACTED

I just started having this exact same issue and it ONLY started with the latest update - 10/3/2017: 17.7.2314 (build 17.7.3660.0)!  The earlier build I was running did not have this issue.

It is preventing my system from correctly booting or updating at all.  Thus I am missing out on security updates from various products I purchase (other than Avast Premier).

This is a critical security issue, IMHO, and NO IT IS NOT A KNOWN issue as it just came out on the 3rd.  If known to beta testers, well, why did it go mainstream?

So I must choose between a working and secure system and Game Mode ... sigh!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
The problem was there already in a previous version, so yes it is a known issue.

Offline Michal256

Apparently you are referring to completely different issue Eddy, is this is absolutely new in 17.7. It didn't exists in 17.6 - I have been launching games multiple times during last month so I am 100% certain I would have noticed if my scheduled tasks would be disabled.

IF this was known in beta (note that it is not referred as a known issue in the latest beta version announcement), it should have definitely been taken care of before releasing the software to general public. System Protection software must not disrupt the system configuration, and make the users vulnerable to security wholes because of poorly writing piece of code.

Note that while premium users can to some extent  alleviate the consequences of this issue using Avast software updater, users of Avast Free must rely on manual software updates now as Avast is breaking all their custom schedules.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I have reported this issue to the Avast team a few hours ago but you may need to wait to Monday for a reply due to weekend.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Martin Kudlicka

• Avast team
Hi, thanks for report. Fix will be included in next release.
Avast Support Tool - https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
Avast support - https://support.avast.com - submit a support ticket

REDACTED

This is a pretty serious flaw AND a security issue. Many applications use scheduled tasks to stay updated, so now they won't. Users might never realize!

This is my 2nd extremely irritating run-in with Game Mode (the first being it leaves the PC in High Performance mode), so I'll be uninstalling this component on all my machines.

Offline Michal256

I just noticed the Game Mode is now reverting the scheduled tasks back to its original state. Seems some silent update have been pushed.

REDACTED

Just dropping by to say I struggled with this for the last few days, and yes I experienced the same issue.
Gaming mode is now disabled until it's officially confirmed as fixed.

REDACTED

Regards to all.

version: 17.7.2314 ( build 17.7.3660.0)
Laptop:
Windows 10 64bit.

I encountered the same problem immediately after the last update.

The disabling of the tasks in the scheduler corresponds exactly to the time (to the second) when the Avast software attempts to change the power state of the computer, noted from Event Viewer.
Task scheduler also displays task history (if enabled ).

the dos command

Schtasks.exe /query /FO table /V > %TMP%\ScheduledTasksList.txt

also provides useful information and writes a file to the TMP environmental variable directory.

Uninstallation/Disabling  of the Games Mode module prevents the problem from occuring ( I have been testing for a few days now)

I also use Throttlestop, this may have a bearing. I did not observe the problem until the upgrade, and noted that the "Game Mode" option had gone from the AVAST notification area context menu.

The menu item which is now instead of the "Game Mode" is "Silent Mode". This appears to prevent all notification, not just the annoying ones!

Uninstallation/Disabling  of the Games Mode module prevents the problem from occuring ( I have been testing for a few days now).

Offline Michal256

Try running the Avast Emergency Update task, then restarting your computer.

After restart the Avast should identify itself as version 17.7.3660.226. It has an update go game mode, which now restores the original state of tasks once the game mode stops.

It also adds a task to task scheduler each time a game is launched, that will restore your original task states after system reboot (in case of unexpected reboot during gaming). Task is removed when you exit the game mode.

Seems they are handling it now quite well :) At least as long as you didn't run any games before the patch, or have manually restored the tasks state the first time after the update.
Not sure if they are able to restore the original state of tasks which were modified before the patch, and of which many users are probably unaware.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:36:51 PM by Michal256 »

REDACTED

Try running the Avast Emergency Update task, then restarting your computer.

After restart the Avast should identify itself as version 17.7.3660.226. It has an update go game mode, which now restores the original state of tasks once the game mode stops....

I ran the emergency update, and even went into avast itself and clicked check for program updates. No such luck. This may be because I'm using Avast Pro. It still says the version is 17.7.2314 (Build 17.7.3660.226), and that the program is already up to date. I'll have to uninstall Game Mode for now. This is a work laptop that I'm running it on, so theoretically I don't need game mode anyways. It kills a bunch of Custom Task Scheduler tasks I have that I need to run at start up.

REDACTED

The new version of 09/11/2017 It still has the firewall bug that turns off when it starts a game with the avast game mode.