Author Topic: Master password  (Read 14065 times)

Offline sciencinz

Re: Master password
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 02:32:21 AM »
Hi Martin, I have also had this same issue with the programme suddenly asking for a Master Password, which I don't ever remember setting. I do have an authorisation password I enter whenever I want to go and change a setting, for instance - and that still works perfectly fine. I thought that was the Master Password.

Anyway, this issue arose when I noticed an option in privacy settings which allowed the user to turn on the requirement for a password to be entered if they wanted to enter...for instance, to access saved passwords. Of course when I read the words 'Master Password', I thought it meant the authorisation password I use for any setting changes. BOY, was I wrong. The second I turned on the choice to protect my saved passwords, with a password...I was instantly presented with a Master Password entry box. I entered my authorisation password, and boom...no luck. I have been locked out ever since.

I have been all over the forum looking for help. I have attempted to uninstall the passwords component, then reinstall - that didn't work. I attempted to uninstall the whole Avast suite (OMG, btw)...that didn't work - twice. It is driving me crazy. I don't care that I can't recover my passwords locked in the password component - it is possible to simply reset them one-by-one as I go to each site. What I really want to get working again though is the ability to save passwords on sites and once and for all, get rid of that weird Master Password popup!!

Please help. How do can I do this? What am I doing wrong in the uninstall that it doesn't reset to default (without the requirement for a Master Password)?

Looking forward to your help on this.

CariBee

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
Hello, I'm not sure I understand your problem correctly. So you complain about Master password dialog to unlock passwords storage to be shown without any interaction from your side and you don't know the passwords or at least the password you are entering is not accepted?

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
Dear Martin

I would like to report a similar bad issue in relation with master PW / APM.

I had APM running for few months protected with a master PW, I was happy and stored about 180 Websites PW.

Since yesterday and after I or my system loaded some updates, I'm not able to unlock my APM safe anymore:

Avast Internet Security 18.5.2342
Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99

I didn't forget anything, I'm 100% sure I'm putting the right PW into APM window.

Can you please help me in this matter?

Sincerly, Thomas

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I'll try to figure out what happened. For that I will need some debugging info.

1. Lets check that you only have one vault and that it is properly set in registry. To do that, I'll need you to run:
- Following command in cmd.exe and provided its output.
Code: [Select]
tree /F "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Avast Software\APM"
- Regedit.exe (via Start -> Run -> "regedit") and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AVAST Software\Avast\PRIVATE. There should be a key called PAMVaultLocation and I'll need to know its value. In case you get access error, please disable Avast self-defense module first in Avast's settings (Troubleshooting section).

2. I'll need debug logs from an attempt to unlock your vault with master password.
  • Enable debug logging so I will get more information about whats happening, which might help me with fixing this issue. For that, you need to open Avast, then go to Menu and then Settings. In General tab there should be a Maintenance section and then a Logs subsection. Here I'll need you to check the Enable debug logging checkbox and change the Maximum size of each log file to from default 4096 to 15500.
  • Restart PC and try to unlock Avast Passwords with your Master Password via Avast UI (This is important, I'll have more info in logs this way)
  • Gather AvastSvc.log and AvastUI.log files from C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log

Please send the log files, output from tree command and value from registry to daniel.hustava@avast.com. As for cleanup steps, please make sure to enable Avast's self-defense module and disable debug logging again.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much, you should have received my email.

Sincerly, Thomas

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 04:59:05 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I went over the log files and then changes in Avast Passwords application for past 6 months and couldn't find any bug that would result in inability to unlock vault with correct Master Password. From what the application logs are telling me, it just seems that the password you are entering is not the correct one :-(

If you were synchronising, the best course of action would be reset the vault via settings and setup sync again (with approval via other synced device or self-approval via email you received when sync was setup for the first time).

Best Regards,
Dan

Offline 4lakewylie

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 11:00:44 PM »
Martin, 

I as well have just had this happen.  First Avast problem in nearly 20 years.  Well it was a great app while it lasted.   
Like others I was using networked option sharing between two computers.   First computer died.  Passwords has been working on the new PC for a year.  As of Thursday could not enter the Master Password for password sign in, but still can for account purposes.  Uninstalling and reinstalling to start anew as directed in the help documentation does not work for my issue either.   The process appears in a loop searching the network.  Probably not programming but a buggy network change giving the program bad data or addresses or different encryption library versions between servers.  However I am losing an entire day of billings and having to make trips to financial institutions to reset accounts so for me this is a very serious first issue and it is very expensive software after today. 
PS. 
IF Avast really expects me to upgrade on this app, it must interface with my finger print login, offer 2 factor on the master passwords, and make the backup and recovery more obvious or obviously not lose my passwords in the first place. 

Offline Sean H

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 09:16:20 PM »
Also just had this problem occur; while trying to activate Sync, between my OSX Macbook Pro and a brand new Android phone. Set up everything on OSX first where all passwords were, entered my working Master Password on my laptop to continue the setup process, says it completed but locked me out and my master password stopped working.

Probably poor timing but lost all the passwords I was trying to be able to back up and get synced onto my phone now unless there is something you can do to help me.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 09:22:15 PM »
Also just had this problem occur; while trying to activate Sync, between my OSX Macbook Pro and a brand new Android phone. Set up everything on OSX first where all passwords were, entered my working Master Password on my laptop to continue the setup process, says it completed but locked me out and my master password stopped working.

Probably poor timing but lost all the passwords I was trying to be able to back up and get synced onto my phone now unless there is something you can do to help me.
Posting in an old topic makes no sense since many changes have happened since 2009.
Please start your own topic and explain your problem. Give as much detail as possible since it's your computer, not ours that you need help with. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet