Author Topic: Yahoo Mail_Waiting for Subsystem  (Read 2538 times)

Colophon

Yahoo Mail_Waiting for Subsystem
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:17:12 PM »
Just installed Avast Home Version last night. Having a few problems. I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, 1.3GHz Intel Pentium4 processor,128MB ram,60GBhard drive,Verizon DSL, Verizon Yahoo and Firefox.
  When I hover over the Avast icon it says 5 of 7 are running.
In the main panel  for email scan it says "waiting for subsystem". I did a search in the forum but couldn't find anything about Yahoo mail. I checked the box to insert message in clean mail and sent myself an email. Never received it. Sent a second one also.(ps: also reconfigured Firefox for ZoneAlarm compatibility .i.e. localhost,port12080 if that's relevant).
   Just received the second email as I write, 15 min. after I sent it. No sign of the first. I don't t see any message inserted.
   Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:25:57 PM by Colophon »

por100pre1

Re: Yahoo Mail_Waiting for Subsystem
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »
Yahoo mail is web mail so the WebShield is the protection for web mail. You are protected. The mail scanner is for Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc. The Outlook Module is for Microsoft Outlook only.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 07:14:02 PM by por100pre1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »
The "waiting for subsystem" notification usually relates to the Outlook/Exchange plug-in being enabled. If you don't have MS Outlook (not express, you don't say what your email client is ?) then you don't need the outlook/exchange plug-in enabled, rather you need the Internet mail provider enabled for other email clients.

You only need providers enabled that you use, e.g. if you aren't using P2P or IM programs then you don't need those providers enabled. You don't say what the 5 providers that are running ?

As has been mentioned Yahoo is web based unless you paid for the pop3 service or are using some form of web2mail email converter ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Colophon

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 01:05:40 AM »

Thanks for the responses. 6 out of 7 are running now, everything except Outlook/Exchange. My email is Yahoo, I have Outlook Express but never use it. What about the "insert note in clean message" function? Will that not work with Yahoo? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I don't see one in the test email I sent myself. I clicked on "show full headers" on the email but can't find anything.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 01:52:23 AM »
Internet Mail doesn't work with web based email, that that you view through your browser, it only monitors traffic using the email ports, so it can't insert clean notes into web based email. You didn't say if your Yahoo account is web based or a pop3 account ?

Web Shield can monitor web based email because it uses the same http port (80) that you use when browsing.

How do you view your Yahoo email ?
How did you send your test email using OE, etc ?

When email is being scanned the avast icon will rotate and the email icon will be displayed in the system tray.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security