Author Topic: "Automatic" updates are not automatic  (Read 1189 times)

REDACTED

"Automatic" updates are not automatic
« on: October 12, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
I have the latest version (17.7.2314) of Avast (free). I have program updates set to Automatic. Thru many recent versions including this one, I've noticed that "automatic" program updates are not automatic. I just get a yellow caution triangle with a ! in the middle superimposed on the Avast icon in the systray. When I click it, it tells me an update is available. Perhaps the Avast programmers have a different definition for "automatic", but in every other program that provides automatic updates, the updates occur in the background with no participation by the user. Is there something wrong with my installation, or is it just that Avast needs to re-describe "automatic" as "automatically tells you when updates are available"?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:25:11 PM by KNRover »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: "Automatic" updates are not automatic
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
It can be that the program is waiting with download to ease server load, if 400 + million avast programs would download at the same time it may fry the server

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
High demand on a server won't "fry" it, but it can make connecting to it or getting anything out of it take a very long time. This is not the case here. As soon as I click on the Avast icon, it starts downloading the update instantly. Actually, this is not a major problem. Although I don't pay frequent attention to my systray unless something isn't working, I eventually notice the yellow triangle over the Avast icon and start the update. The issue is Avast's assertion that PROGRAM updates are "automatic" (virus pattern files are automatic). I interpret "automatic" to mean like Windows updates, which I also have set to automatic, and they happen without me even knowing they've been downloaded until I see the Windows update shield on the "Shut down" button.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
High demand on a server won't "fry" it,.................
D'oh! Figure of speech

As soon as I click on the Avast icon, it starts downloading the update instantly.
Ofcourse, should it not?

Auto Program updates used to be spread over 1 or 2 weeks. So unless something has changed i guess it still work like that.