Author Topic: Master Password issue  (Read 7736 times)

REDACTED

Master Password issue
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
Ok, so I am 110% categorically and infinitely positive that I made my Master Password a certain password. I manually locked myself out today and now when I try to unlock, it says my password is incorrect. Someone help before I throw my computer off a cliff

REDACTED

Re: Master Password issue
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
Version 1.6.5 on Mac 10.12.6

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »
Could you please provide me a log files (send them via private message)
How to:
While holding alt key click on key icon in top bar
Select option Logs
It will open logs folder in finder
Select all files, compress them to single file and send it to me

I will check them out

Note that if you can't unlock passwords with master password you are 110% is correct there is not much even we can do. Our password manager application is written to be secure and if the application doesn't accept master password, then there is practically no way how to get in.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:48 PM »
As user is having synchronization account set we have solved the problem by removing locked passwords database, setting up new one and receiving data back from synchronizatio.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »
Hello,
        I just thought i would let you know.

I just had a problem with the avast password keeper where as when opening the iPhone avast password keeper it sync's to my PC with all the old passwords and deleted all the new passwords I just reset.
If I only had a few accounts I wouldn't bother saying any thing but I have 25 accounts of passwords that got deleted after I just got finished resetting all of them after 75 days (every 75 days I reset my accounts passwords for safety reasons), Now this is not the first time this has done this to me.

No suggestions needed. I'm done with this crap and i really want my money back.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
Sounds like you have things setup wrong/not properly.

As 75 days are past, you are not within the 30 day warrentee and not entitled for a refund, but you can always ask and hope you get lucky.
But this is not the place/way to ask as has been explained several 100's of times on this webboard.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:26 AM »
Hello,
        I just thought i would let you know.

I just had a problem with the avast password keeper where as when opening the iPhone avast password keeper it sync's to my PC with all the old passwords and deleted all the new passwords I just reset.
If I only had a few accounts I wouldn't bother saying any thing but I have 25 accounts of passwords that got deleted after I just got finished resetting all of them after 75 days (every 75 days I reset my accounts passwords for safety reasons), Now this is not the first time this has done this to me.

No suggestions needed. I'm done with this crap and i really want my money back.
I hardly can imagine this could happen by avast passwords by joining to synchronization and I would say it is impossible to be done repeatedly. When you join device to synchronization all records of that device are sent to other devices as well as records from other device are received by the device. We are not doing any merge on accounts being synchronized so if you have had 25 accounts on iPhone and 25 accounts on PC you will end up with 50 on both devices. We know it is not ideal, but we can't decide which of those are valid and which are obsolete so we are letting users to decide and manage their accounts by their own. We could use decision based on password timestamp and we are still considering it but we have nothing like that implemented yet.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »
I can assure you it does lock you out and delete passwords.  It has happened to me too.  Fortunately I wrote them all down before trusting your software which is happen as well as it is a load of old trollop.  Back to pen and paper.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »
Could you please share your account name you have used for synchronization? I will verify if there happened something like bulk delete on that in the past.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
Is the master password the one used for website? i reinstalled and neither my old password or the new one is working.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
If you are on windows, could you please provide an output of this console command?
Code: [Select]
tree /F "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Avast Software\APM\%USERNAME%"

Offline Sirpa4

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
Hello, I have been using AVAST pw's for quite a long time, and I have used the paid one and then the free version. 
I haven't inserted the Master pw in a long time and the other day I locked me out by mistake. 
I am 110% sure I have the correct pw on Paper, and haven't changed it at all, even tho I really remember it well as well.
But what happens is that it tells me it is incorrect pw and will not accept it in no way.
Now I have kept this email safe:
Dear user,
Should you ever lose one of your devices, you'll need to find this email in order to access your account, and keep using Avast Passwords.
If anything should go wrong, or you ever have a problem connecting to your passwords, please click the button below, and we'll help you get things back to normal.
Restore
The Avast Team

I did all what it asked and still it didn't helped. Then I also followed the instructions to remove Avast Passwords which I did also from the browsers that were using it.
I restarted as requested, then I went to Avast for to install it again, again it ask to restart what I did.
Every time I did it and opened up the PW tab in Avast program it had the same locked situation and ask to insert the Master pw.
I have repeated this like 5 times, and it keeps at the same.
Oh and before I did that I clicked on the upper border avast key icon to get the logfile, but nor left or right click opened up any choice, that was in Google Chrome, and I am a Win 10 user.
I do not understand in any other way how and where I will find the logfile? I am no pc nerd,  I mean I know what I do but I need good instructions for to follow and do what I should for to not screw up all on my pc.
Please help me! :D

Adding more info:
tree /F "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Avast Software\APM\%USERNAME%"

Folder PATH listing
Volume serial number is 00000029 5874:2950
C:\USERS\SIRPA\APPDATA\LOCAL\AVAST SOFTWARE\APM\SIRPA
└───I7drbQN5ekLQY1fq
        kv_pam.db
        kv_pamcore.db
        kv_pampub.db
        pam.db
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:40:56 PM by Sirpa4 »

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
If you have the backup link I can provide you instructions how to try recover from backup with creation of new storage, but you will need to know master password you have created backup link with. There is no limit of tries and if you use still the same master password it may fix your situation.

I will post the instruction via Private Massage not because they are secret, but because these steps are not universal and one can get into the even worse state by following them in some situations.