Author Topic: virus update wont work!!:(  (Read 10138 times)

mr.morden

virus update wont work!!:(
« on: December 25, 2003, 05:33:25 PM »
hey,i have a broblem

i use windows 2000 btw.

when im trying to update my virusdatabase,it wont do anything,...i mean anything..i got avast home edition v4.1 free version,
my virus database is now this: 0311-6 16.12.03

i did try to download and install the new virus database from Avast site but when i try to install it,it says like this..

error

installer program is currently used by another process,try again later,please.

what should i do?

greets

Joel

Culpeper

Re:virus update wont work!!:(
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 07:00:26 PM »
reboot your machine and then right click on the icon ball and select updating and manual update both IAVS and program and see if that works.

Then check your update settings in Avast program and make sure you are set for automatic on the definition file updates.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 07:04:02 PM by Culpeper »

mr.morden

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 07:27:32 PM »
done that,not working,i tried to uninstall it but no success,it wont uninstall,damn had to repair whole windows 2000

i hav few comps in my house and xp is in another comp and it works great in that comp,but not in my windows 2000 comp.

well..i will try to install it again now when my windows 2000 is ready again,but if it stills dont work then ill give up,ill smash my 2000 and put xp instead. ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 07:57:08 PM »
Start the Task Manager, go to the processes tab, and look for an entry called 'avast.setup'. If it is in the list, try killing it and retry invoking the update...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 07:58:09 PM »
Is your firewall allowing the Avast update program?  Could it be blocked by your firewall for some reason???

mr.morden

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 08:07:54 PM »
firewall aint the reason,i did shut it down and tried to update it but it just did not do anything,i did even download the update from the site and tried to manually update it but it did show some error message and did not update it

i did send that error message to avast staff.

no reply yet.
but anyway i have repaired my windows 2000 and ill try it again soon.
i did shut avast by using task manager and then tried to uninstall it but nothing did happend.

i was too lazy to do anything else and just putted my 2000 cd in and repaired whole windows.

perhaps my windows 2000 was messed or so,but if it wont update when i try it again then..i dont really know whats the matter.
 :o

btw.. this was the error msg what did pop in when i tried to update it manually

error

installer program is currently used by another process,try again later,please.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 08:09:44 PM by mr.morden »

JavaJiveJump

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 10:42:48 PM »
Just to add my two cents, since I too have been experiencing the same exact problem(s) even on my Windows XP machine:

I have not been able to update my virus database for about two months. I get error messages both when trying to update over my internet connection and using your download package for virus database updates.

I really do not want to re-install the program. I am not sure what is causing this.  When I click on Avast! Update I get a message that says: "The specified module could not be found".  When I use your download for virus databases I get a message box listing varius error codes.

I have included a jpg attachment that has the two screen shots for the error codes.  I have also answered Avast's basic configuration questions from their support page.

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP
HOME EDITION 4.1
0310-8 07.11.03 virus database
PII 400  384MB RAM
DSL Connection
Outlook Email client
NO firewall/security software

I HAVE ATTACHED SCREEN SHOTS OF THE ERROR MESSAGES.
 :-\
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 11:14:31 PM by JavaJiveJump »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 10:50:10 PM »
JavaJiveJump: Did you try going to the Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, select avast! Antivirus / Change and choose Repair?

JavaJiveJump

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 11:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Strangely, when I tried your suggestion and clicked Add/Remove, nothing happened.  It doesn't prompt to uninstall or repair. The button justs clicks.

Could it be that my setiface.dll is corrupted? I remember Avast erroneously reporting one dat that it had detected some worm in that .dll.  It was put away in the chest.  I restored it from the Chest, but perhaps it is now corrupted from the attempted "clean"?  Perhaps I can obtain just that file from Alwil/Avast and try your suggestion again?

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 11:48:42 PM »
In fact that is quite likely. Please go to the <avast>\setup directory, and look for a file called setif_av_pro-<some_number_here>.vpu . Is it there? If so, with which number? Also, is there a file called setiface.ovr?

Thanks
Vlk

JavaJiveJump

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 01:18:25 AM »
Both files exist.
1) setif_av_pro-118.vpu
2) setiface.ovr

What next, please?

ronzoil

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 01:19:04 AM »
i run windows 98se i just downloaded the entire avast program 12-24-03.
after set up first time i got back on net it updated ok.
today 12-25-03 when i got on net it gave me the error message the packgage is broken

Culpeper

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 01:44:55 AM »
Ronzoil:

Try a manual update as described in my post above.  Sometimes the package gets broken up while downloading, which is beyond Avast's control due to factors of the net itself.  Also, if you have been running your machine for several hours and you only received that message once than chances are the other times it checked for an update it was okay.  The latest update is 12/23/03.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 02:16:49 AM »
JavaJiveJump,

copy setiface.ovr to setiface.dll and invoke a manual program update. That should do it (update to 3.1.319 and fix all the problems).

Thanks
Vlk

JavaJiveJump

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2003, 03:53:11 AM »
Vlk,

Thank you very much for helping me figure out this problem!!  That did the trick!!!   :D

Shields Up to full power once again!!  I can breathe once more...