Author Topic: what is wrong with avast passwords  (Read 6649 times)

REDACTED

what is wrong with avast passwords
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
Avast passwords did something to most of my passwords. I have to keep re-entering the passwords. How do I fix this? I use mostly google chrome and firefox.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: what is wrong with avast passwords
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »
Post in the correct forum and provide details please.
Just saying something is wrong is not really helpful.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
I don't know what is wrong, that is why I am asking the question. After installing the avast passwords, I have to repeatedly re-enter the passwords to all of my banking and finance websites.

How do I fix this? Uninstall avast passwords?

PC computer, windows 10, web browsers are either Firefox or Chrome.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
See reply #1

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
I don't know what is wrong, that is why I am asking the question. After installing the avast passwords, I have to repeatedly re-enter the passwords to all of my banking and finance websites.

How do I fix this? Uninstall avast passwords?

PC computer, windows 10, web browsers are either Firefox or Chrome.
As Eddy noted it is hard to suggest something if we know nothing about the issue. What do you mean by:
"I have to repeatedly re-enter the passwords to all of my banking and finance websites".
You mean the extension doesn't autofill them?
What is the status icon of Avast passwords extension in the browser? Click on the icon and you will error message if any or extension control panel.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »
The auto fill does add the username and password to the entry boxes, the username is correct but the password is always wrong. I had to delete and retype the password again for each website to get them to working again. The password seems to stick after this step but I had to redo each password for every website that requires a password. It's like all of my passwords got scrambled or changed after installing avast passwords.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
And if you check password value in the application, do you see correct value of password or some kind of "bullshit"?
If you see some nonsense values (weird characters you never use) then we most likely screwed it up during import from browser. If so could you please let me know in which browser passwords were stored, so I can verify the functionality?
If values of passwords are outdated, then the question is how do you change your passwords. If via browser with our extension, we should capture significant amount of changed passwords. There are some cases when we don't capture password change but for majority of the sites it should work. Additionally once you put correct password to login form, we should show you capture dialog asking to update existing one so if you save the change you should have actual passwords autofilled next time.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
I'm not sure about what the password actually says other than *********. In Firefox, deleting the old password, then retyping it then hitting "Save this password" seems to fix it.

In Google chrome, the same thing. I deleted what ever was in the password box, then retyped the password and saved. Seems to fix it.

Both of these browsers pre-date the install of Avast passwords. All of the passwords were working until I installed Avast passwords last month. I'm slowly getting most of these passwords working again.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
There is a little eye icon next to password input in our capture dialog, you can reveal the password we capture by clicking on it. Same thing we have in application so you can check what you actually have saved with us.